Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,548,993   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

test

I want to share results of months of my work in mastering color carbon printing.

In this 20 minute video I show how color carbon print is made:

Video consists of 9 parts. Parts 1-6 shows sensibilization, negative registration, exposure, mating of tissue and final support, developing and warm water and final wash for yellow layer (same things that you do in monochrome carbon printing), parts 7-9 show registration and warm water developments for magenta, cyan and finally black layer. At the end final print is demonstrated.

Please note that this video doesn't cover questions of how to make colored tissue and how to find correct exposure times for each color required to get correct color balance (This will be theme for another video).

I consider this video as more beta version then finished work and will be very appreciated for comments and corrections.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sergey ,

One of the Most exciting videos I have ever watched. A lot of members see the carbon prints on the web and no idea on relief. Last part of the video was spectacular and this is my first time to see such a great and strong reliefs. The whole story was more explainatory than all I read.
    Thank you very much,

Umut

Excellent. Thank you for sharing. I appreciated your simple approach. What pins were you using? Unfortunately, carbon prints lose most of their relief when dry. In my video I posted two years ago, the wet print shows tremendous relief. Not much when dry. At any rate, carbon printing is the most beautiful of all the processes, in my opinion. Thanks again!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for a nice video! Very impressive and interessing!

I've tried 4 times with a carbon prints, with no success, the color paint went loss of homogenity. (sorry for my bad english).
    Next time shall I try to first coat a paper with gelatin and color and then sensibilization the coat-layer.

Greeting from Holland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Mustafa Umut Sarac, @jobbie: Thank you! I'm very glad that you have found my video interesting)

@Andrew O'Neill:

"What pins were you using?"
    Pins in my registration pad a ordinary household pins like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10009pin.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	71400
    I cut them to about 12 mm (1/2 of inch) and hold them in a pad using epoxy glue.

"Not much when dry."
    You give me an excellent idea: I will add footage that shows how relief looks on dry print (I'm already working on new edition where typos are fixed). Of course it is not very prominent, but it is clearly seen in scattered light.

"In my video I posted two years ago"
    Are you talking about 4 part "UltraStable Color .m4v" videos on youtube?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Thanks for this - looks very interesting indeed!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. That's very interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @gandolfi, @jjphoto: Thank you for response!

I have updated video with footage of dry print relief. You can use this direct link to watch new footage.

I can't see the relief in the dried example. Perhaps the print needs to be more in the light, and the camera placed much closer to the print...

"In my video I posted two years ago"
    Are you talking about 4 part "UltraStable Color .m4v" videos on youtube?
    No, that was by Tod Gangler, I think. Mine is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmpTgDlsr3o

I'm not working with 4 colour carbon, but experimenting more with duotone printing. A negative for black ink, and a negative for gray ink.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I can't see the relief in the dried example. Perhaps the print needs to be more in the light, and the camera placed much closer to the print...

No, that was by Tod Gangler, I think. Mine is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmpTgDlsr3o

I'm not working with 4 colour carbon, but experimenting more with duotone printing. A negative for black ink, and a negative for gray ink.

First the video was great to watch. Andrew, are you using digital negatives or in camera or perhaps duplication film for one? I like your idea!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin