Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,215   Online: 861

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks, I'll experiment a bit with this.

And yes pure palladium prints can be exquisite, but more usually they are too brown and heavy for my taste. I've settled on an 85-90% platinum / 10-15% palladium coating with potassium oxalate and potassium dichromate. This gives a beautiful, delicate, warm-black with nice clean highlights and good shadows. I've spent a few years getting this process optimised, and I have no desire to lose it. I use pure palladium mostly for teaching or when I want to smother the shadow details.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The route I have taken is to make negatives that need no contrast agent (I am using a pd to pt ratio of about 3:1 ). Of course this does not help if one has older negatives with varying contrast.

I do occasionally use some older roll film negs that need a contrast bump, so I use pd plus NA2 for those, and get a similar color and feel as my larger prints.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, pop Pd (Ware-Malde or Ziatype) can give you dead neutral or even cold toned prints - you can get warm toned and split toned prints too. See this print for instance, it's a pure Pd Ziatype print. It's a simple process (doesn't need any kind of developer, just a citric acid first bath + a good rinse - some papers need EDTA+sulfite clearing bath though...) and works very nice. It's good to have control over the hue. Just try it, maybe you'll like it a lot.

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about 5-methyl benzotriazole nitrate?
    Last edited by cliveh; 08-10-2013 at 02:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin