Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,286   Online: 1167

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Now THAT's an alternative process

Last edited by bjorke; 01-26-2005 at 12:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: duh typo

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More like performance art....
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format

hmmmm........

...I don't think I'll try that one!
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sounds like Beavis and Butthead take photography 101

Heh, heh, heh, heh. Cool.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gotta work in a vacuum chamber? Oops, there went Cleveland.
    Gotta love it!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We really have taken all the excitement out of the process, haven't we.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds more like creating the light rather than capturing it.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm.

From the description quoted, it doesn't sound like nitric acid, but silver nitrate solution used to impregnate the paper -- and I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to sensitize that in solution rather than with the hydrogen-rich gas. If I'm translating the old chemical names straight, it looks like he's reacting a phosphine with the silver nitrate, producing a silver phosphide, silver phosphate, silver perphosphate, or silver hydrogen phospate, which could probably be done by treating the paper with an appropriate solution of the correct salt or acid (phosphoric acid would be the obvious first one to try). Reaction with iodine would then produce an iodophosphide or iodophosphate -- which indeed ought to be light sensitive just as a halide would be, possibly with greatly extended spectral response (the phosphorus ought to weaken the ionic bond to the silver, requiring less photon energy to form a developable latent image speck).

No nitrocellulose (because no nitric acid, and in any case very little nitrocellulose would be formed in short exposure and in the absence of sulfuric acid as a catalyst and dessicant), no hydrogen gas if you could react in liquid -- but without an analysis of his paper, it's impossible to be certain what salt or complex he was starting with before sensitizing with iodine vapor. It appears he was originally trying to produce a Daguerreotype on a paper substrate, which would have been a revolutionary advance.

Anyone here enough of a chemo-historian to translate the chemical names into modern IUPAC designations?
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Anyone here enough of a chemo-historian to translate the chemical names into modern IUPAC designations?
    Only if the original is in German
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT let Mateo read about this, Salinas Ca. will never be safe.

For those that don't know, he loves to try out new alternative methods. One of his latest is Uranitypes. He uses urianium to print with. The prints are gorgous, but my hubby once we had left the party where he showed them said, "no way in hell are you trying that process in our home!" only time he has put his foot down.
    Non Digital Diva

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin