Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,635   Online: 847

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I printed a digital negative twice where I changed nothing between the two other than one was FS coated. I by far preferred the FS version and did not see a reason to recalibrate. Deeper blacks with more pop and presence to the print. Perhaps the dig neg could be tweaked to look the same I just don't have enough experience with the process yet. But I also did notice as previously noted that I seem to have more solution to coat than usual. Still early days for me but I am interested no doubt.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We'll be doing some more tests and I'll get a video up soon displaying techniques, etc. It's always chaos where we do this stuff, so I apologize if it's not highly scientific. A lot of us print by feel more than by measurement nowadays.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post

Regarding mechanical stability, i've never been able to see my fingerprints on the paper (it's kinda like a lustre finish). Of course, I also wasn't eating potato chips either at the time. For spotting, we've used the same dyes, knife methods as one would perform on traditional prints with no ill-effect. Is there a specific test you would be interested in me performing?

A little history: this type of coating was used heavily back in the day of blueprints. The patents show that the companies used it for increased contrast, sharpness, and paper stability. I have no way to guess how many millions of square feet this stuff was used, but some of the largest cyano companies employed this technique. In fact, we are doing some testing on a new paper that seems they might have caught wind and started applying this as well.
    Thanks Klainmeister, no I don't have any test you would perform for me, thank you for your kind offer. I would prefer to do my own testing before, if I ever decide to use silica fume in a production situation. BTW, I'm absolutely not concerned about the chemical effects of silica fume on the image since silica is pretty stable / inert stuff, my only concern was the mechanical effects but your remark about the usage of this type of coating in Blueprinting industry gave me quite a confidence; most blueprints are made on thin paper and meant to last...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I'll have to do another set of prints to do the dmax readings as one of the print got shipped off. I can do this though, just give us some time. The paper was Stonehenge.
    Hi Klainmeister, If you could do a set of dmax readings and include a step wedge like in the photo attached that would help us to see how effective fumed silca/alumina is and how it might be changing the entire tonal range compared to a print that is uncoated on the same paper. I have stock of silica and alumina but just have not had a chance to really experiment with it. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dmax_JP_G.jpg  
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's Dick's explanation of how things went down: http://thecarbonworks.com/blog/?p=1367
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh, and I have a stouffer. I can try this weekend. A bit chaotic at the moment!
    K.S. Klain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin