Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,075   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

More information on Fumed Silica and alt processes

Hi All,

As you know, we've been working with fumed silica quite a bit at Bostick & Sullivan recently. We've experimented with different coating methods, but we find that the traditional roll on method is the most efficient/easy, but has the risk of streaking. A good rule of thumb is to use a foam roller in a tray, get it soaked up and covered with dry silica, and use that on the paper for an even coat. Instead of pouring some on the paper directly, the amount that the roller holds seems to be just right.

Another method is to make a solution in water and soak the paper in it. This greatly reduces the chance of streaking, but comes at the cost of extra time and the chance of making the paper warped/wavy for the next process. If you were doing a large amount of big prints, this might be a good idea to do the day prior to a large print session. We had success with PT prints 20"+.

Proof in point of what this does for your PT/PD prints (Cyano and Vandyke equally respond), here is a shot of two prints I did Saturday. The one on the left is straight Palladium with no Fumed Silica, the one on the right is exactly the same negative, same paper, same formula, same exposure, but with silica. Oddly, I found that the silica required less PT/PD solution (by one whole dropper full), mainly because it didn't soak into the paper as rapidly and was easier to get a full coating. Example, this 14x18" print took 3 full droppers of both Palladium and Ferric Oxalate to do with the silica coated paper, without it took 4 (and probably could have used 4.5).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrintCompare.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	574.1 KB 
ID:	72768

On a side note, we're going to start posting information and more photos to a Facebook page, blog, and begin How-To videos on all the processes offered via a youtube channel. Stay tuned!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had been registered to APIS at 99 at New Mexico but I did not go. My sister was at New Mexico last winter , stayed at Carlsbad for 3 weeks. Bostick and Sullivan plus Alternative Photography forum been my greatest inspiration. Waiting your detailed and long videos Mr.Klain.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I liked the silica print more at the right.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Mustafa. It's a dramatic difference in real life. My cell phone can only capture so much contrast/dmax difference in the two.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just tested a few prints last week (with foam brush) and i have to say there was a clear difference. I will be watching intently on getting a consistent and repeatable method. It really can make a difference..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Soaking the paper definitely works, but not something i can fully recommend yet. Experiments still in the works. We do a lot more R and D in the winter due to the fact it's easier to heat the warehouse in winter than cool it in summer. The foam seems to work fine if you really go at it for longer than you'd like.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm pretty happy using the foam roller brush to apply wet fumed silica. I know some folks out there are pleased as punch working with the dry, but I had issues with it clumping in the tray, and I don't like working with powders as I have a propensity to asthma and respiratory illnesses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For some reason I had some buckling issues with the wet on Stonehenge (the paper above) although Platine has never had that issue.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If one is already getting the DMax and contrast one wants without the Fumed silica, are there any other benefits besides not needing to use as much coating solution? Basically my pt/pd prints already look like the one on the right. Though occasionally they have too much contrast (I use no contrast agent -- Na2, dichromate, Potassium chlorate). I use those negatives for carbon printing!

Does it change the surface qualities, for example? Mid-tones?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speculating: I would expect silica changing the hue characteristics of some pop processes (such as Argyrotype, Ziatype...) which are highly sensitive to humidity, towards cooler tones because silica would retain moisture.

Any real life experiences? I have only tried a couple of prints with silica and despite I liked the contrast / hue and dmax it gave, I left it aside because of streaking. I'm perfectly happy / satisfied with the traditional methods...

Regards,
    Loris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin