Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,592   Online: 927

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sudek View Post
    Loris, thanks much for the kind suggestion. And if the coated paper can reach maximum black in several minutes, may it prove that the FO is not so stale?
    Hi sudek,

I'm totally puzzled here. There's something wrong with your workflow and/or materials - but couldn't pinpoint the problem so far. I'm out of suggestions really. I'd check the materials (different paper / different chemicals) to rule out that probability. Purely because it's simple to do that, if still having problems, I'd check my workflow.

Good luck & regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Loris,

I did what you've instructed before, mixing 1 drop of OTC peroxide (3%) in it and you're right. It's stale FO. Now I got clear whites in the step from 18 to 21, the part under the cover of OHP is from 16 to 21. But other than that, the steps seem just a little bit darker and still lack of full black. The exposure time was 20 minutes and distance to the light was about 2.6 inches.

There's just one more question I'd like to ask. Is it possible to have full back using stale FO with peroxide added?

Thank you so much for the patience and all the kind and detailed suggestions:-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sudek
    here'a a thought for you , also being new to pt/pd I was having the same problem until a friend who is a long time printer showed me that I was over exposeing causing the blacks to have bronzing so they didn't look as dark a black.
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi sudek, I think you can use a stronger dilution of peroxide (15% or even 50% - but peroxide is kinda DANGEROUS at that dilutions, it may BURN your skin and stuff, therefore BEWARE! I'd go for the other SAFE way...) and add some more to fully convert iron(II) to iron(III) in your sensitizer solution w/o diluting it too much. I think adding just enough peroxide (not more than enough) will totally revive the solution w/o compromising it. BUT, I'd really prefer to purchase dry FO and mix a fresh iron solution. Mix small batches that you'll use up within a couple of months max...

mitch, sudek's problem isn't bronzing, it's the other way around.

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Loris, thanks a lot!! It sounds difficult to find out the quantity of peroxide as "just enough" though. And I'm wondering also if this is a contrast control problem. I'm not sure now if I could have full black in the step tablet with a solution including only FO and palladium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi sudek, you can, I do, everybody else can do it too. JUST use fresh FO. (About peroxide addition: You can empirically test with small batches, increasing peroxide amnt. step by step until it doesn't do any more good - but if I were in your place, I'd really not bother because that would mean building my whole workflow based on flawed material, something I would highly refrain...)

P.S. I do pop pd w/o any contrast agents, exposure scale log 2.9 (29 steps with 31-step tablet, 19-20 steps with the 21-step tablet you are using...), dop pd should be considerably below this figure, because there isn't any significant print out that would necessitate a negative with higher density range.

Regards,
    Loris.

P.S. I think dop pd w/o contrast agent should give you about 15-16 steps with the 21-step tablet...
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 12-20-2013 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added P.S.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Loris: It's so assuring to hear that. I'll get fresh FO and see what will happen. Thanks a lot!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi sudek,

If possible buy dry powder FO and mix the sensitizer solution yourself. Dry FO keeps very well (as long as the container is tightly capped and protected from UV), therefore you'll have the opportunity of mixing small batches that you'll use up within a couple of months - w/o getting stale.

Goof luck,
    Loris.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks much, Loris. I'll post the result later:-)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I got the fresh FO finally and I exposed for ten minutes first with the same workflow. And when I saw the result, I exposed for twenty minutes later. Both of them were still lack of full black.

For the ten-minute test strip, I got clear whites in the steps from 20 to 21, the part under OHP is from 17 to 21. And the shadow steps are quite far away from full black.

For the twenty-minute test strip, the same result in clear whites when using stale FO: no clear whites in the steps and the part under OHP is from 19-21.
    But it's great to find that it got slightly darker in the shadow steps compared with the strip using stale FO. Yet still no full black.

BTW, I could have full black in the paper without the step tablet/OHP.

Is it that the exposure scale of the paper not long enough to have the step tablet show full black? And which part of my work flow should I consider problemetic?

Thanks much in advance for any kind suggestions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin