Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,859   Online: 895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's because it's a very, very beta process. In fact, it's so low in terms of development and research that I took 200ml of the essential solutions home and am slowly working my way through the process in hopes of delivering more information. Effectively, it's a silver/iron process that when paired with selenium toning (pure, not KRST style with thiosulfate involved) it has the appearance and DMAX of a good PT/PD print, except very cheap by comparison. Beta is the keyword here. Sullivan focused his attention to the Oil Print, AKA Rawlings Print which we're almost %90 dialed. More on that at APIS, but it's very exciting. In a sense, he gets very focused and hands off projects for the rest of us.

Here's the best break-down of our Athenatype postings: http://thecarbonworks.com/blog/?page_id=1448

Sorry, wish I was a better chemist and could provide more information.

EDIT:

The reason why you find a lot with fumed silica is that the discovery of the two coincided chronologically, so it got mixed in with the other projects at the SkunkWorks. At the moment, we have about 5-6 experiments going on all the time. It's hard to keep things straight with a bunch of creative types.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    From time to time I have had trouble with kallitypes, and other iron based processes not clearing completely on various papers. I have now switched to a series of clearing baths each of which contains 1 TBS citric acid, 1 TBS EDTA and 1 TBS sodium sulfite. This may be overkill, but so far I have not found a paper or iron based process which does not clear beautifully.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Klanmeister, are you toning with selenium metal or salt? Thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All you need to know about the process and toner is towards the bottom of the procedure: http://thecarbonworks.com/blog/?p=380

B&S started mixing a more pure version of selenium toner because of the nasty effects it had on certain processes. I can ask Dana and find out his exact take on things (I just used the stuff, didn't mix it), but I believe it some sort of selenium metal base rather than salt.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What a tease! I've tried several times to find a source of guanidine carbonate just to try that athenotype process. I got close once, and then it was mysteriously not available. I assumed everyone had given up on them due to the difficulty of getting that stuff.

Where do you get yours?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin