Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,357   Online: 821

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Other uses for the darkroom

I have recently decided to paint my bicycle bright yellow (perhaps a reminder of Kodak yellow) and am in the process of spray painting it in my darkroom. Perhaps not a good idea? Although I did keep the windows and door open. Anyone else use their darkroom for strange non-photographic things?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I stripped my motorcycle's exhaust down to bare metal with a drill and sanding attachment, also have built up (and torn down) roughly 5 bicycles in there.

Cleanup is always worse than anticipated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My DR was originally intended as a utility and storage/pantry just off the kitchen. It already shares duty, plus you have to pass through it to get to the half bath. Even though I have running water in there, I still process film in the kitchen.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Made a circuit board in my darkroom two nights ago. UV-lamps for salt printing needed to copy the design and trays and sink for the chemical part. Just some different chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm privileged to have a dedicated darkroom I do not need nor agree to use for anything else. I couldn't sleep for several nights recently when I had to let plumbers in to install new pipes that needed to go through a corner in the darkroom.

I'm paranoid about dust there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Spray painting will always have an overspray that will cover everything with a fine coat of paint dust - not a good idea in a darkroom.

Would you do it in your kitchen? No! Then don't do it in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Spray painting will always have an overspray that will cover everything with a fine coat of paint dust - not a good idea in a darkroom.

Would you do it in your kitchen? No! Then don't do it in the darkroom.
    You are probably quite correct and Fixcinater's sanding is also not a good idea. However, if you are not precious about prints (only reproductions from negs) then it's not a big problem and the dust will settle.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to keep my epson inkjet printer in there. Since I added a 4x5 enlarger, there became no room for the printer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Laundry, of course! And cat play corner. Our house is really small, and the only running water in the basement is by the laundry, so that's where I built my 'dark corner'. I hang clothes from the same lines that I hang clothes to dry, by necessity.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    You are probably quite correct and Fixcinater's sanding is also not a good idea. However, if you are not precious about prints (only reproductions from negs) then it's not a big problem and the dust will settle.
    hi clive

i'd hang it from a piece of rope OUTSIDE
    and paint it there ...
    i wouldn't do that in a darkroom
    unless you have made a spray-tent
    besides, you'll be huffin' fumes

i don't do anything besides photo stuff in my DR.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin