Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,272   Online: 806

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Websites: Building a UV Light Source

What are some web sources for building a UV box? I'm aware of a high school that may want to build their own box for Cyanotypes, and we'd like to be able to point them to some worthwhile sites.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen View Post
    What are some web sources for building a UV box? I'm aware of a high school that may want to build their own box for Cyanotypes, and we'd like to be able to point them to some worthwhile sites.
    Question? Do UV lights like party "blacklights" actually produce strong REAL UV that would work? Could you buy some standard school/office style fluorescent ceiling light fixtures and replace the tubes with UV tubes?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen View Post
    There have been a couple of good threads about this recently on the large format forum. I'd give a link but that forum is down for the near future, but definitely worth a look when it's back up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For Carbon Printing, i use a Lamp Philips HPR 125 with Ballast. It is perfect

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1375969...7635019029286/ is the photos for one I described a build of on LFF. Someone else refined that and made an even nicer box. Do check out LFF DIY forum when it's back up.

A metal halide light will also work, but not as fast or compact.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Philips UV TL tubes, these are pretty cheap, don't need any ballast and can be bought a various lengths, you only have to buy an armature to install them.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Question? Do UV lights like party "blacklights" actually produce strong REAL UV that would work? Could you buy some standard school/office style fluorescent ceiling light fixtures and replace the tubes with UV tubes?
    Yes, and yes. The wiring is exactly the same as for a normal fluorescent tube, although you may want a fast starter to minimise uneven exposure at start-up. Any electrician who understands lighting could do the electrics. Keep the tubes close together so the exposure is even, and ideally have tubes that are bigger than the print for the same reason. The rest is just building a box.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
    Yes, and yes. The wiring is exactly the same as for a normal fluorescent tube, although you may want a fast starter to minimise uneven exposure at start-up. Any electrician who understands lighting could do the electrics. Keep the tubes close together so the exposure is even, and ideally have tubes that are bigger than the print for the same reason. The rest is just building a box.
    I'm talking about using them as hot lights... Apparently I'm not familiar enough with any wet plate processing, I thought you needed them for the exposure but your response sounds like you need them for development?

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I built a box from 10x "GE 22 in. Black Plug-In Fluorescent Light" from the local DIY store. Built a box out of a plywood backing and 1x8 sides, wired the lights up to a couple of switches that turn on every other lamp (in case I want less light, which has never happened so far). Eventually I bought a piece of 27" square 1/4" thick glass to put over the top of the box (my vacuum frame fits over the box, and I just flip it upside-down while exposing, so this was just a nice addition after the fact).

Works fine. Fancy designs optional.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm talking about using them as hot lights... Apparently I'm not familiar enough with any wet plate processing, I thought you needed them for the exposure but your response sounds like you need them for development?

UV is more typical for printing using alternative processes.

CLF's are less work to put together, and are great for lighting your subjects using wetplate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin