Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,272   Online: 806
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    182

    Websites: Building a UV Light Source

    What are some web sources for building a UV box? I'm aware of a high school that may want to build their own box for Cyanotypes, and we'd like to be able to point them to some worthwhile sites.

  2. #2
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,078
    Images
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen View Post
    What are some web sources for building a UV box? I'm aware of a high school that may want to build their own box for Cyanotypes, and we'd like to be able to point them to some worthwhile sites.
    Question? Do UV lights like party "blacklights" actually produce strong REAL UV that would work? Could you buy some standard school/office style fluorescent ceiling light fixtures and replace the tubes with UV tubes?


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,325
    Images
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen View Post
    What are some web sources for building a UV box? I'm aware of a high school that may want to build their own box for Cyanotypes, and we'd like to be able to point them to some worthwhile sites.
    There have been a couple of good threads about this recently on the large format forum. I'd give a link but that forum is down for the near future, but definitely worth a look when it's back up.

  4. #4
    Philippe Berger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    52
    For Carbon Printing, i use a Lamp Philips HPR 125 with Ballast. It is perfect

  5. #5
    jp498's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Owls Head ME
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,344
    Images
    69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1375969...7635019029286/ is the photos for one I described a build of on LFF. Someone else refined that and made an even nicer box. Do check out LFF DIY forum when it's back up.

    A metal halide light will also work, but not as fast or compact.

  6. #6
    Uncle Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gent (Belgium)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    404
    Images
    1
    I use Philips UV TL tubes, these are pretty cheap, don't need any ballast and can be bought a various lengths, you only have to buy an armature to install them.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

  7. #7
    Ian Leake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,355
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Question? Do UV lights like party "blacklights" actually produce strong REAL UV that would work? Could you buy some standard school/office style fluorescent ceiling light fixtures and replace the tubes with UV tubes?
    Yes, and yes. The wiring is exactly the same as for a normal fluorescent tube, although you may want a fast starter to minimise uneven exposure at start-up. Any electrician who understands lighting could do the electrics. Keep the tubes close together so the exposure is even, and ideally have tubes that are bigger than the print for the same reason. The rest is just building a box.

  8. #8
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,078
    Images
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
    Yes, and yes. The wiring is exactly the same as for a normal fluorescent tube, although you may want a fast starter to minimise uneven exposure at start-up. Any electrician who understands lighting could do the electrics. Keep the tubes close together so the exposure is even, and ideally have tubes that are bigger than the print for the same reason. The rest is just building a box.
    I'm talking about using them as hot lights... Apparently I'm not familiar enough with any wet plate processing, I thought you needed them for the exposure but your response sounds like you need them for development?


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #9
    jorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    42
    I built a box from 10x "GE 22 in. Black Plug-In Fluorescent Light" from the local DIY store. Built a box out of a plywood backing and 1x8 sides, wired the lights up to a couple of switches that turn on every other lamp (in case I want less light, which has never happened so far). Eventually I bought a piece of 27" square 1/4" thick glass to put over the top of the box (my vacuum frame fits over the box, and I just flip it upside-down while exposing, so this was just a nice addition after the fact).

    Works fine. Fancy designs optional.

  10. #10
    jcc
    jcc is offline
    jcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm talking about using them as hot lights... Apparently I'm not familiar enough with any wet plate processing, I thought you needed them for the exposure but your response sounds like you need them for development?


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    UV is more typical for printing using alternative processes.

    CLF's are less work to put together, and are great for lighting your subjects using wetplate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin