Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,753   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gotta see this video on platinum printing

What got me fired up about platinum prints was seeing George Tice's platinum prints in SF. The gallery employee said they're made by Salto in Belgium.

http://vimeo.com/20321908
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tice makes his own 8x10 Platinum prints. Bigger sizes like 20x24 and larger are made in Belgium.

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in San Francisco and am a fan of Tice's work. What gallery is he showing at?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's at 49 Geary Street

Quote Originally Posted by troyholden View Post
    I live in San Francisco and am a fan of Tice's work. What gallery is he showing at?
    I think it's the Scott Nicols Gallery on the fourth floor. It becomes a blur after I've hopped a few galleries. But such fun!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Totally awesome.

Here's another video that shows Albert Watson making the images shown in the platinum video. He's using a Phase One back on his Hassy. D'oh!!

The shots of him holding a mug with a cute kitten on it gave me a laugh:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 5.33.49 PM.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	493.3 KB 
ID:	75984
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Great to see Mike Ware in person (video). Why do they always have to have a soundtrack to everything these days!
    They have a very slick process here. For those who haven't done platinum, it doesn't need to be this slick.
    Also, why is he making three negative separations for a B&W platinum print? How the hell would one print a platinum print with three negatives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They make three negatives with high, medium and low tones through a computer that are full size to the print. Then they line up all three negs to expose the print. At least I think that,s what they do by my reading of what I viewed. It,s toward the front of the video.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that's cool. What I don't get why 3 negs sandwiched? Isn't the point is to separate the exposures. This is still all new to me. Appreciate if someone explained.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Everyone just close your eyes when you see those big, digital negatives. Pretend he's got a really big film camera.

Seriously though, I'm curious about why they do the separation with three negatives like that as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would assume that they do it via 3 negs in order to maximize the tonal range. The negative printers are not able to capture the entire range in one print so they break it down into multiples. Again that is just an assumption.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin