Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,263   Online: 1135

Thread: UVIndeSir

Shooter
    Multi Format

UVIndeSir

I just found this IndieGogo campaign. I thought it might be of interest to alternative process photographers. It lets your smartphone tell you the UV index right where you are. This seems like it would be useful in determining exposure times for sun printing. I funded it and I hope you do too because it isn't yet to their goal. Considering I recently had problems with outdoor exposures due to a low UV index, I think this would be a really useful tool, so I really hope this gets funded and made.

http://igg.me/p/uvindesir-the-tiny-u...roid/x/5254729

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    I just found this IndieGogo campaign. I thought it might be of interest to alternative process photographers. It lets your smartphone tell you the UV index right where you are. This seems like it would be useful in determining exposure times for sun printing. I funded it and I hope you do too because it isn't yet to their goal. Considering I recently had problems with outdoor exposures due to a low UV index, I think this would be a really useful tool, so I really hope this gets funded and made.

http://igg.me/p/uvindesir-the-tiny-u...roid/x/5254729
    Does anyone know whether the UV light measured by this is the UV light photographers are interested in?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a good question. I hadn't considered that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK, UV index is biased towards UVB/UVC - those wavelength which is more likely to cause sunburn. Alt-process is sensitive in the UVA range (~365 nm)
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    AFAIK, UV index is biased towards UVB/UVC - those wavelength which is more likely to cause sunburn. Alt-process is sensitive in the UVA range (~365 nm)
    Interesting, because the information on the Kickstarter page seems to reference UVA.

It also indicates (way down near the bottom):

• Peak sunlight response bandwidth: 290 - 298 nm
    • Totalsolar response: 290 - 400 nm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin