Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,663   Online: 833

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is interesting. I've been wondering about the negatives on my FP100c. But I want to see some prints. If they can't be printed this would be a hybrid process, no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I save these and bleach them with regular bleach. I have a bunch saved up, will try and see if I get the dried emulsion issue. They have no mask so printing in the darkroom is tricky but should be doable. The film base is rather thin and the emulsion is super fragile so it's hard to preserve the edges without some damage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, if I gave you the impression they'd be B&W, I'm sorry. If it was me, I likely said mine would end up as B&W because that's all I can print in my darkroom.

I haven't gotten streaks across mine like that one Jonathan, but I've done some that had been sitting for a few weeks at least. I have a couple sitting here that have been sitting for maybe a month or two that I haven't done, yet. I think the age at processing might be a part of it as well as time between initial processing and recovery. I've mostly used non-expired stuff for these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oops. I'm sure some of mine have been sitting in a box for more than a year. Oh well... they are not super important. One reason I delayed trying it is that I'm not sure whether the wash should really go into my septic tank...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ned, the B&W ones are FP3000B ... that's three thousand. And I'm told you couldn't do this method with those, not sure why yet but I'm going to try, however I suspect it's because the negative gets totally burnt out from trying to expose at such a high ASA...
    The FP3000B negatives are on a white base so you don't need to clear them with bleach. They scan just like a negative image on paper. I liked the real positives from the 3000B better, but the negs did have an interesting texture and higher contrast.

FYI, you can use regular bleach on a cotton ball to remove the backing from color negs.
    Last edited by cramej; 11-13-2013 at 11:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Oops. I'm sure some of mine have been sitting in a box for more than a year. Oh well... they are not super important. One reason I delayed trying it is that I'm not sure whether the wash should really go into my septic tank...
    When you or another in your house cleans the toilets, do they use a cleaning product and flush it into the septic system? 'Cause all that's going down the drain in this is diluted bleach. The chemical residue left on the neg by the original processing is an extremely small amount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    When you or another in your house cleans the toilets, do they use a cleaning product and flush it into the septic system? 'Cause all that's going down the drain in this is diluted bleach. The chemical residue left on the neg by the original processing is an extremely small amount.
    We tend to be careful about it and use a non-chlorine bleach for laundry, but yes small amounts of bleach do go into the septic from normal cleaning. I was not worried about that and was thinking of the color development residue, since I don't know what it is or how much might wash off in this process. I was thinking I'd try the process at a friend's house attached to the sewer first, to see how much goop comes off... sounds like it might not be enough to worry about....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I save these and bleach them with regular bleach. I have a bunch saved up, will try and see if I get the dried emulsion issue. They have no mask so printing in the darkroom is tricky but should be doable. The film base is rather thin and the emulsion is super fragile so it's hard to preserve the edges without some damage.
    I was on another thread that was talking about masks, and so I am going to use the term mask again just to indicate a colortone on the background of the image on the negative, so for example a regular 35 mm color negative has an orange mask, these ones seem to have a pink mask, so you may have trouble when printing when it comes to getting accurate colortone because you won't be used to the pink mask instead of having the orange mask. But I don't print yet, I only scanned, so I can't really tell you what it will look like for you.

As far as the dots are concerned, I'm not sure if these natives actually have silver in them or not, but if they do, there's something about how the silver dries on Polaroid type films that causes them to look like that over time they come together, I'm not sure exactly what caused it other then humidity, and I'm told that if you keep them with some silica gel for a few months that that won't happen. At least it appears to be the same as the TIP films, the TIP films also especially in particular the black and whites get the same kind of clumping, if you don't leave them in a silica gel environment for about a month, if for any reason you take them out of this a look at gel it within the first month, then you end up with a black and white Polaroid that has clumping just like that.

Either way it's good to know that it's a great idea to wash off of the goop before putting them away for storage if you're not going to use them right away for bleaching, I think it's really neat how clear and beautiful the flowers are, way way better and more accurate of a colortone than mine, so now I want to shoot some normal ones and see what happens. I did a photo shoot today however that you test shots were nudes, very bad ones, because the model was moving around because I wasn't really shooting her to shoot her, and they look really silly and bad lol.

I'll have to try an older one.

I also shot a bunch of the black-and-white stuff, I was curious as to why people said that you can't use these negatives, and now I know why, they aren't clear they are a white bass, so I can see why it probably wouldn't work to scan them and definitely would work to print them, however I may try scanning them on the glass and see if I can then reverse them in Photoshop and if that image is better considering that I over blew the actual shots

They were for fun anyway, but it's always nice to be able to actually have something usable even from fun shots.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since I have everybody here I've a question, okay so you know how you're supposed to keep the Polaroid film flat and not stand it up because the goo will slide to one side and get ruined and not expose properly, is that a permanent thing or just like an hour before the shoot kind of rule?

I can keeping my phone flat forever, however the ones that I transport in both my RZ67 and my Toyo 45a are a pain, because the way that they sit in my boxes are used pelican cases that is when I'm traveling with them in the car they are normally flat ready to be opened, but it home I would like to store them by storing them up right however the way that I have things configured especially with the RZ67 I can't really get it to go flat it would be on its side if I store it upwards which is how I'd like to store them for space-saving and ease of access reasons.

I've just reconfigured my toyo 45a so that I can easily open the lid switch the position assuming I don't have too many sheet holders in there, and then store it the proper way so at least there's that but I'd rather not have to bother doing any of that if it's possible to store them and not really have to think about all that which direction is it facing thing.

For the RZ67 I use them for fun artistic purposes for model shooting that's really the only thing I use them for and so I don't always need to store them because often I will use an entire pack for one shoot, however because they are so expensive, if the model isn't that great but I want to give her something to take home I'll shoot one or two, and have some left over. With the toyo45a I use them when I'm testing a shot that I'm going to shoot on transparency, which isn't very often, so I tend to store them for long periods of time maybe over the course of six months I'll go through a single pack.

Anyway what are you guys thoughts on this, is it possible to not have to pay attention so much to how my box is stored or is it really critical to do that I don't really want to test it out and then end up having a whole pack ruined so I just figured I ask first.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just saw some of the stored negatives -and they'd turned spotty :-(
    But only the ones stored in ambient temperature, not the ones in the fridge.
    Haven't bleached them though!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin