Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,437   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where to get mylar to protect negatives

Hello,
    after I got a tiny spot of kallitype emulsion on my film I am trying to get some thin mylar (0.003inch/76.2 microns) to put between the negative and the sensitized paper. Couldn't find anything locally.
    Any ideas where to look for such a thing?

THanks!

A.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Do you mean acetate? A good art store/supply shop should carry it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andreios, try flower shops; they usually have pretty thin (thickness: 2 mils / 50um) clear polyester film for packing bouquets. Anything above 50um is not much advisable, starts to significantly harm sharpness. (50um is about right, as thin as it can get w/o getting too hard to handle - such as cling flim...)

Hope this helps,
    Loris.
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 11-18-2013 at 05:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used plastic food wrap, the type that clings to itself. It is very thin, though not aways easy to handle because of its clinging property.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There must be a Dupont office at your city or Germany. If you call them , they would inform you about an supplier who will sell you by meters from the roll.

Good luck,
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, I've found Dupont office and tried to email them.. Meanwhile I'll try the food wrap or flower celophane
    | website | ipernity thing |

Meanwhile I'll try the food wrap or flower celophane
    What a great idea! Print files also work well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Andrew, protective sleeves do indeed work well as long as their thickness <= 3mils.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What about fluoropolymer or Kapton ? They are technically better stuff. Fluropolymer is extremelly advanced product , it does not harm with chemicals or uv and tear resistant. If Dupont turns you back , you can ask the supplier about product range they sell. Polyester is weak to chemicals and uv , high heat and tear and cheap stuff. Fluoropolymer films are used as satellite wraps at space and non oil changing for years automobile engines. There is no way to destroy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mustafa, you don't need extremely durable / hard to find exotic stuff. A sheet used as impermeable protective barrier between the coated paper and negative isn't normally reused for more than 2-3 times at maximum. All you need is a film that is very clear, thin (<= 3mils) but stilll easy to handle and transparent to UV. BoPET is cheap, easy to source and perfect for the job.

Regards,
    Loris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin