Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,079   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Alt process and watercolor paper

I've been having a blast printing cyanotype and Ziatype during my holiday break. I've been using Windsor Newton Cotman then I ran out. I switched to Swathmore Windpower and the difference is startling. With both processes the same other than the paper, my cyanotype picked up contrast with highlights being blown out and my Ziatype print became over exposed and ended up dark and muddy. Sure surprised me
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you ever used Canson Edition for cyanotype. I've use a bunch of different papers and this one produces a good result at a reasonable cost. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Have you ever used Canson Edition for cyanotype. I've use a bunch of different papers and this one produces a good result at a reasonable cost. Bill Barber
    Hey Bill. Thanks for the tip. Where do you get it? I get my paper mostly from the university book store on campus where I work. I'll look for it. So do you use digital negs or negs from your analog camera?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Could be due to the differences in the pH of the sizing. If one finds a 'perfect' paper, it sure pays to buy a bunch of it! Some companies will change the sizing, thus the paper's printing qualities, without notice (sometimes even seasonally). The watercolorists don't care, but it can be a nasty surprise to alt printers!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Could be due to the differences in the pH of the sizing. If one finds a 'perfect' paper, it sure pays to buy a bunch of it! Some companies will change the sizing, thus the paper's printing qualities, without notice (sometimes even seasonally). The watercolorists don't care, but it can be a nasty surprise to alt printers!
    That's what I'm finding out. As for me, I'm finding out that ignorance makes me feel like an expert until you run into problems.

I'm going to follow your advice.
    Aaron Chang

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=17089

I've printed cyanotypes on Stonehenge, quite successfully. It should be available at your uni - I've bought it at at our small uni bookstore, and also seen it at low end craft stores, (where they don't have a clue what a hake brush is, but you can buy gallons of glitter glue.)

Stonehenge did not work for me for gum or pt/pd, so I don't know if it would be good for ziatypes (aprocess i've yet to try). Christina Anderson says ziatypes are not as sensitive to paper types as other alt processes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If one finds a nice paper that does not quite work well, one can acidify it by soaking it in an weak acid -- I have used Oxalic acid (3%) and I believe others have used less toxic alternatives such as citric acid. No rinse after the soak. It throws in an additional step, but can sometimes allow one to use a nice paper. I used it on Fabriano Aristico, I believe it was, for pt/pd. It was a little cheaper than the COT320, yet looked great.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rives BFK is a good all-purpose alt process paper, and it is widely available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Christina Anderson says ziatypes are not as sensitive to paper types as other alt processes.
    Awesome cyanotype. What Christina is saying about Ziatype is true. But cyanotypes it's another story.

Cheers!
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used arches BFK, Cot 320, Stonehenge, Arches Platine most recently and a student was kicking my butt with Canson Edition 250 gms bright white. I bought mine in full sheets (30X44) from Jerry's Artarama at about $3.70 a sheet with free postage. I did buy a 25 sheet package. I print some fairly large images using negatives produced my scanning my film and some are printed fro silver gelatin negatives. Bill Barber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin