Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,832   Online: 1162

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I speak only English

I am more interested in seeing a few prints, I have no interest in learning the process, I already have too much on my plate in relationship to four colour pigment prints.
    Lately I have been turned onto the intaglio process with pure pigmented inks and am following this by making registered direct to plate so that I can make some prints on a Conrad Press.

QUOTE=MDR;1594858]Bob since you are canadian you probably had some french in school so you can probably contact the Fresson family and get some informations regarding the homemade enlarger it seems they used this method only for the mono fresson process and not the four colour process which requires separations negatives. They used an arc lamp for cinematic projectors as UV source and built the enlarger around it. Note: Rodenstock made a UV enlarger lens the UV-Rodagon.
    email: fresson@atelier-fresson.com[/QUOTE]

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though he no longer practices the process Luis Nadeau has some to view the best known artists working with the process were/are Sheila Metzner and Sara Moon. Not so many photographers working with this process especially outside of France. Furthermore the Fresson family did not accept commisions by just everyone only a few selected artists they deemed worthy of the process were accepted as customers, this is no longer the case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    thanks I thought so what does AFAIK mean , I am over 60 and slow now
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be much easier to make a copy negative of the appropriate size and use this to make a contact print.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why would it be easier more steps are necessary to make a copy negative than a direct enlargment. Also looking at the Pentacon example which was designed for chloride emulsions that were only sensitized for UV-light the exposure times using a 50w mercury vapour lamp as lightsource were not that long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cyanotypes are magnitudes slower than contact printing paper. You'd likely warp or melt the negative with the amount of power needed to enlarge it onto cyanotype. Copy negative or digital negative are the way to make bigger cyanotypes from smaller film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Why would it be easier more steps are necessary to make a copy negative than a direct enlargment. Also looking at the Pentacon example which was designed for chloride emulsions that were only sensitized for UV-light the exposure times using a 50w mercury vapour lamp as lightsource were not that long.
    What do you mean by not that long?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to the linked source (german one in my previous post) around 30 to 50 seconds for Agfa Lupex lens at f4.5 x9 enlargment

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    According to the linked source (german one in my previous post) around 30 to 50 seconds for Agfa Lupex lens at f4.5 x9 enlargment
    I find that very difficult to believe, did he mean 30 hours?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nope seconds the article also states that the exposure time varies according to the film different films have a different amount of UV transmission. They also advise to either get an old (old as in already old in the 1960's) CZJ 4.5/50mm Tessar or an Emil Busch Orthan 4.5/55mm lens as the coating of modern lenses absorbs too much UV light and these two older lenses focus visible and UV light nearly in the same plane. As a personal note the pentacon/perner enlarger focused the UV light while 99% of all UV light sources for Alt.Process uses unfocused (diffused) light that loses a lot of it's energy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin