Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,775   Posts: 1,516,659   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Van Dyke / Cyno - Idea w/ Enlarger

Hey everyone, I got to thinking and was curious if someone could help me or simply tell me I'm wrong.

If we coat some paper with the appropriate chemistry... what is to stop you from enlarging a negative onto the paper if your head was fitted with a UV bulb? Or, are UV bulbs not available for enlargers?

Why must these always be contact printed?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Daniel-Duarte.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think there has already been a thread or two on this and the outcome was it wont work (not enough UV output).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    "Regular" optics do not fare well with UV, specialty ($$$) glass is required. As VDB, cyanotype, etc., are very slow processes compared to silver-gelatin, exposure times are very long. The Fresson lab in France does use an enlarged negative system, but exposures take hours even with an arc lamp, and the negatives get rather cooked in the process.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have only seen one Fresson Print by Shelia Metzner (sp)

Can you direct me to artists that use this process regularly or where I can see a collection of these prints.

thanks

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    "Regular" optics do not fare well with UV, specialty ($$$) glass is required. As VDB, cyanotype, etc., are very slow processes compared to silver-gelatin, exposure times are very long. The Fresson lab in France does use an enlarged negative system, but exposures take hours even with an arc lamp, and the negatives get rather cooked in the process.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luis Nadeau operates a Fresson Lab in Canada

Luis Nadeau
    P.O. Box 221 Station A
    Fredericton NB
    Canada E3B 4Y9

Scott Macleay works in the Fresson Process another Canadian
    www.scottmacleay.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Not so sure Mr Nadeau is actually making prints, I have a couple of his books which are quite good, but if he is printing, he is not showing .

I will look into Scott Macleay work

thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Luis Nadeau operates a Fresson Lab in Canada

Luis Nadeau
    P.O. Box 221 Station A
    Fredericton NB
    Canada E3B 4Y9

Scott Macleay works in the Fresson Process another Canadian
    www.scottmacleay.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK, Luis hasn't been making Fresson prints for quite a while, focusing rather on conservation work. He used large negatives for exposure, rather than a UV enlarger.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    thanks I thought so what does AFAIK mean , I am over 60 and slow now

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob since you are canadian you probably had some french in school so you can probably contact the Fresson family and get some informations regarding the homemade enlarger it seems they used this method only for the mono fresson process and not the four colour process which requires separations negatives. They used an arc lamp for cinematic projectors as UV source and built the enlarger around it. Note: Rodenstock made a UV enlarger lens the UV-Rodagon.
    email: fresson@atelier-fresson.com

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just found that Pentacon build and sold and UV enlarger in the 1960's it was called the Pentacon Multifoc UV. a bit more info: http://books.google.at/books?id=NrEW...ed=0CFMQ6AEwBQ
    and an article in german http://www.gigabitfilm.de/download/uv_projektor.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin