Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,641   Online: 1175

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You lose a little bit with extended unnecessary wash, but not much. If you partial bleach and tone (such as washing soda, then tea/coffee/tannic acid) the image is absolutely bulletproof and I can't wash it off short of abrasion. If you want to lose a little bit (you lose a little density too) a weak washing soda bleach can bring everything up a zone depending on how weak you mix it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give this a try, If you have a printer with advanced B&W setting, get hold of a copy of Christina Anderson's "Gum Printing and other Amazing Contact Printing Processes" and make your negatives as explained in Chapter 2. Simple instructions.

Christopher James' "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes" is the comprehensive bible for things alt process and should be in anyone's library who is doing alt process work.

Try this in developing your cyanotypes. Use 1 part distilled white vinegar to 5 parts water and develop for 4 or 5 minutes. Quick rinse and then another bath of water with a splash of hydrogen peroxide for another 4 or 5 minutes. Final wash. I would try this first to see if I could tell any difference with the negatives I was using and producing unacceptable results.

Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    id also suggest to keep trying
    gandolfi ( emile schildt)'s cyanotypes are
    as delicate as any b/w print might be
    full tonality, full highlights .. he sets the bar high
    and has quite spectacular work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Cyanotype is not an easy beast to tame, but very possible. I'm encouraged!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coating on Baryta paper certainly improves most alt processes by limiting uptake by the paper fibers.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that type of clay coated paper available?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Is that type of clay coated paper available?
    baryta i don't believe is clay, it is like fiber based silver gelatin photo paper.
    you can probably fix + wash sheets of whatever you have, so it is just paper stock
    and coat it. probably bostick and sullivan or the formulary sell it by the box
    or ream ( depending on how much $$ you want to spend )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Baryta is Barium Sulfate which is used in radiography when you want to see the intestines. It is impermeable to X-rays and is thus an enhancer of the image.

In paper making for photographic use, it is used as the whitening agent for the base support for FB papers. It also enhances contrast and detail. In RC paper making, Titanox (Titanium Oxide) is used.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't know that. So Baryta is the cocktail you drink before the dreaded colonoscopy. So Baryta will coat the paper and won't allow cyanotype emulsion soak in to the paper? I know some alt printers use gelatine to do that.
    Aaron Chang

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    On Denise Ross' Lightfarm site you can find a recipe for homemade Baryta paper http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Pape...atingPart4.htm

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin