Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,575   Online: 667

Thread: UV LED

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

UV LED

I'm a bit of a ghetto tinkerer. I saw some UV LEDS on Ebay and I thought I'd buy some to see if it's applicable for alt processes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-1W-Ultra...-/110737016202

After receiving them a month ago, I was able to play a bit on my work bench. So far, it seems to work with cyanotypes.

Here are some pictures. http://www.flickr.com/photos/maineco...7641172069904/

I got the heat sink from a scrap pile from work and borrowed a power supply. Optimal voltage is about 3.5v and draws .78 amps. My plan is to mount 10 on them on an aluminum heat sink that is 10x12 inches.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Interesting idea. So these guys put off enough heat to warrant a complete heat sink? Also, what was the exposure distance/time with that cyano?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is great!
    I have put ~30x 3W UV led in my enlarger head with the idea of using them for alternative process too.
    So far so good. The heat sink hardly change of temperature and the head light produces a lot of light!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm still doing tests

Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Interesting idea. So these guys put off enough heat to warrant a complete heat sink? Also, what was the exposure distance/time with that cyano?
    But so far, it's about an inch or less for 30 minutes for 1 LED. I expect the times to be lower when I have a bank of them running. They have a lens that concentrates the light and I plan to have the LEDs 5 inches to achieve even illumination.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might also consider using 10W block

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    But those LEDs get hot. It's better to keep them cool or else they might cook. The distance is about an inch. Exposure time 30 mins. This is just a test.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yow! This can make you blind looking at it. Probably made for tanning beds.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I was also interested in the use of UV/far blue LEDs. There ones with high output at 360-380 nm which would be close to perfect for Pt/Pd printing. May be one of my next projects?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is good to know such LEDs require serious cooling. I was intrigued by the idea of using LEDs for an exposure unit. But it seems they require good planning on cooling the unit. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The ones I'm using

Quote Originally Posted by jakobb View Post
    I was also interested in the use of UV/far blue LEDs. There ones with high output at 360-380 nm which would be close to perfect for Pt/Pd printing. May be one of my next projects?
    The LEDs I'm using are 410nm. I don''t know if it will work for Pt/Pd. I'd like to run a test for Ziatypes though. Still a lot of testing. Gotta find the time
    Aaron Chang

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin