Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,829   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Smooth Cyanotype paper

What can be used for smooth surface cyanotypes other than hot pressed watercolor paper, and cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi kevin

im not sure how archival it is
    but i use what someone at RISD told me was "butcher paper"
    its cheap ( i got a 32x40 x 200 sheet stack FREE ) and smooth and thin
    also i use borden & reily velum it works great
    and is not expensive at all. the chemicals like it too ...
    ( so do liquid emulsions ! )

- john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a pad of Yupo paper that I've been meaning to try. It's a smooth, waterproof watercolor paper. Because it's waterproof I'm not sure if it will actually hold the emulsion or not, it might just rinse away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    adelorenzo, Yupo won't work w/o a primer, it's absolutely impermeable and with cyanotype you need the emulsion IN the paper.

kevin, try Masa paper it's perfect for all iron / iron-silver processes and it's cheap too. (Something like USD 1.2 - 1.3 per 21x31" sheet... I remember the times when it was only USD 0.7/sheet.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm currently printing a series on Canson Editions which has one smooth surface. It is cheap. First run I had a little trouble with coating, however subsequent ones with my paying a little more attention I have had no problem, I do use a little Tween with it. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kevin, I do a lot of my wet and dry plate 5 x 7's as cyanotypes to get a good look at the neg before settling on what process I will print them in, and then finish off some as cyanotypes. Years ago after much searching I started using Strathmore Sketch 300 50 pound paper. Just bought a new 18 x 24, 30 sheet pad for $12.75 at a local art store. It takes and holds good the old traditional cyanotype chemicals, does not rip easy , and is great tea tonned. Takes the extra wash after being tonned too. You can see some examples in my gallery. Best I've found and done hundreds on it!
    Last edited by hermit; 02-24-2014 at 04:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    adelorenzo, Yupo won't work w/o a primer, it's absolutely impermeable and with cyanotype you need the emulsion IN the paper.

kevin, try Masa paper it's perfect for all iron / iron-silver processes and it's cheap too. (Something like USD 1.2 - 1.3 per 21x31" sheet... I remember the times when it was only USD 0.7/sheet.)
    Loris, am I miss reading what you say here, as with Cyanotype you don't need an emulsion (by that I mean gelatin).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone, I will do some experimenting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Loris, am I miss reading what you say here, as with Cyanotype you don't need an emulsion (by that I mean gelatin).
    Clive you're right, "sensitizer" would be the absolutely correct term here. But we often intermix these two terms here in the alt-process forum, trivial stuff... BTW you don't absolutely need gelatin for an "emulsion".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    Clive you're right, "sensitizer" would be the absolutely correct term here. But we often intermix these two terms here in the alt-process forum, trivial stuff... BTW you don't absolutely need gelatin for an "emulsion".
    Yes, I understand any suspension substance may be classed as such.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin