Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,039   Online: 1086

Shooter
    Large Format

Old cyanotype chemicals

I have had the same two chems for the past 7 or 8 years, the prints seem to print out slower. What is the useful shelf life of the dry chemicals?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin klein View Post
    I have had the same two chems for the past 7 or 8 years, the prints seem to print out slower. What is the useful shelf life of the dry chemicals?
    If dry powder form and sealed from air, almost indefinitely.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    kevin I have 11 years old solutions still working OK. Dry chemicals are stable too - if kept well and incontaminated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't say what chemicals you have but if they are for the classic process then it depends on the chemical and whether it is in solution or not. I would discard any solutions. Dry potassium ferricyanate will keep. However ferric ammonium citrate may or may not still be good. It must be protested from moisture and light. This chemical should look like green scales.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-04-2014 at 11:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kevin;

I've never had problems with the dry chemicals as I buy them bulk and normally 5 + years before I reorder. Also have had solutions if kept sealed last well over a year with no issues.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone. I have ordered some Masa and Strathmore 300 scetch paper to try out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kevin

I have been printing Cyanotypes and getting good results on Rising Stonehenge paper.

Mark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin