Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,571   Online: 1169

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mercury users please come forward.

Does anyone here actively use mercury in any of their photographic processes?
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do mercury thermometers count?
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've read of Victor's Mercury Intensifier (in the book "Darkroom") but I'm frankly too afraid of mercury to be near it if it's not in a thermometer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I avoid metol, selenium, BZT, ... etc.,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used a Mercury II on occasion...
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is the character in Alice In Wonderland, the Mad Hatter. Typically hatters would eventually experience neurological symptoms because of the mercury compounds used in making felt. Mercury (II) compounds are extremely dangerous. So is mercury vapor and organomercury compounds.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As a young kid I lived near a lighthouse which was built at the turn of last century. They thought it would be a good idea to have the gears of the light lens lubricated by a bath of mercury i used to love looking at the liquid though the holes in the lamp room floor. now they give warnings to people who visit that there is mercury present but back then i had no idea about the dangers. I't was just very pretty silver liquid.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken Nelson, who has some work on this site: http://www.newdags.com/thissite.html

He gave a great mercury daguerrotype demonstration a couple of years ago at the North West Alternative Photography Symposium held at Bellevue Washington, USA.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have safely stored in my darkroom 1,039.5 grams (2.29 pounds) of elemental liquid mercury, although I've never used it photographically. It's a long story...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i guess if anyone is making traditional Daguerreotypes, they would use mercury fumes to develop them.
    Between the mercury and the iodine, I'll leave that to more "adventurous" people!

When I sensitize a calotype by floating potassium iodide soaked paper in a solution of acetic acid and silver nitrate, at first the back of the paper becomes marbled before it clears and becomes silver iodide. I don't know for sure, but I think that might be elemental iodine showing up for a minute. That's probably as close as I want to get to iodine or mercury!

My thermometer has alcohol in it, a nice pretty blue color....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin