Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,018   Online: 898

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does sodium tungsten change the sensitivity with Ziartypes?

I've been experimenting with Ziatype. Without sodium tungsten, the prints are a bit cold for my taste. Adding it warms the print up. Does sodium tungsten change the speed or contrast of the prints. My preliminary test so far doesn't indicate that. What's your experience?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IME it doesn't change much the speed but lowers contrast considerably. BTW, I don't feel the need of adding sodium tungstate anymore; when I need warm prints I just dry the coated paper longer... (Gives chocolate browns instead of yellowish/gold browns you get w/ sodium tungstate.)

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Loris. Came through for me again. Do you get a good Dmax with a dryer emulsion?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, no Tn and let the paper dry longer. Sounds interesting. When you say longer, what does that mean to you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi all, you get a slightly lower dmax by drying more. It depends much on how dry the paper was. Too dry and the print is too warm / dmax not satisfactory. But it's possible to find the correct amnt. of moisture giving nice chocolate brown prints with convincing dmax. My usual drying time with Ziatype is 10-15 minutes (at 22C, 50-60% RH), you'll get warm prints by drying the paper 20-30 (or slightly more) minutes in the same conditions. Depends much on your RH, a humidification chamber a la Dr. Ware is handy. (See H4 in "Salt hydration chambers" section @ http://www.mikeware.co.uk/mikeware/N...e_Process.html) Test...

BTW, I'm not totally against sodium tungstate. It works nice with some kinds of prints - when you need a golden yellow tint...

Regards,
    Loris.
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 05-13-2014 at 03:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link to Dr. Ware's page...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    Hi all, you get a slightly lower dmax by drying more. It depends much on how dry the paper was. Too dry and the print is too warm / dmax not satisfactory. But it's possible to find the correct amnt. of moisture giving nice chocolate brown prints with convincing dmax. My usual drying time with Ziatype is 10-15 minutes (at 22C, 50-60% RH), you'll get warm prints by drying the paper 20-30 (or slightly more) minutes in the same conditions. Depends much on your RH, a humidification chamber a la Dr. Ware is handy. (See H4 in "Salt hydration chambers" section @ http://www.mikeware.co.uk/mikeware/N...e_Process.html) Test...

BTW, I'm not totally against sodium tungstate. It works nice with some kinds of prints - when you need a golden yellow tint...

Regards,
    Loris.
    You're saving me a lot of work. I did make some prints with sodium tungstate and I like the yellowish brown. I'll just have to experiment.

Best,
    Don
    Aaron Chang

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin