Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,381   Online: 768

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The direction (A, or B) won't not matter. The wire should be grounded - the third, green wire in the U.S., not the 120V return line. The ballast exterior should be designed to be grounded, so connecting them with the wire won't be a problem. If the wire does not work, you may need a metal sheet behind the lights, as some people earlier in this thread were using.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    The metal surface behind the lamp requirement is critical for magnetic ballasts because the start isn't as aggressive as with electronic ballasts...at least the older vintage (self resonant) e-ballasts I worked with in the 'old days' didn't care. The voltage would rise until the lamp lit, even at insanely cold temps where the lamps weren't supoosed to light...lamp life probably suffered. I don't know the physics, not the same as flash tubes, but I believe a capacitive effect, maybe something to do with electric field before the lamp ignited.

My mother-in-law had an old house with ungrounded outlets & a handyman-installed ceiling mount fluor. fixture usually didn't light, just the ends glowed. It always freaked her out when I waved my hand mysteriously near the fixture and the lamp would light.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Newer generation ballasts have a lot of care put into lamp failure detection and lamp life, so they may not tolerate non-spec installation as well.
    Murray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin