Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,991   Online: 967

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Hey Jorge! The US Customs Service is trying to give the Mexican Postal Service a run for its money! Talk about bad...
    Awww men Tom, doen even get me going on Mexican Customs....talk about a scam!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe they are working together?

The last package of pt/pd prints shipped to me by a famous LF/ULF photographer in Mexico arrived sealed with a big green tape with "OPENED BY US CUSTOMS" all over it. The turkeys damaged one of the overmats in the process. Fortunately, none of the prints were damaged.

I cursed them soundly and cut a new overmat.

Actually, I thought myself lucky to get off that easily. Earlier a Copal 3S shutter mysteriously vanished in shipment from Japan. Shipment tracking showed that it arrived at the San Francisco Customs Office and never came out again. Postal insurance paid for it, but what a PITA!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Maybe they are working together?

The last package of pt/pd prints shipped to me by a famous LF/ULF photographer in Mexico arrived sealed with a big green tape with "OPENED BY US CUSTOMS" all over it. The turkeys damaged one of the overmats in the process. Fortunately, none of the prints were damaged.

I cursed them soundly and cut a new overmat.

Actually, I thought myself lucky to get off that easily. Earlier a Copal 3S shutter mysteriously vanished in shipment from Japan. Shipment tracking showed that it arrived at the San Francisco Customs Office and never came out again. Postal insurance paid for it, but what a PITA!
    Ah so you wanna compare horror stories?..

Let me start with the lens I bought 2 months ago and still has not shown....I am sure it is in customs limbo, if it has not been stolen. Then I have my favorite story. All imports incurr at least a 25% import tax on the price of the item including shipping charge. So I while back I ordered chemicals from Arcraftchemicals and Michael, thinking that Mexico is a civilized country, packages the chemicals and sends them on their way via mail. 6 weeks go by and nothing, so I called him. Unfortunatelly since he sent them unregistered he made up another package and sent it to me Via Fedex. 4 more weeks later I get a letter from the postal customs office telling me I had to go to Mexico City to claim the chemicals. SInce they did not have a list in spanish they needed me to go in person, secure a customs broker to do the paper work and pick the stuff in person and of course pay them their 30% import tax.

So I call them and said I did not live in Mexico City, that it was hardship for me to go there...well, no matter, they could not care less....so I had to tell them to send it back. SO far I think Michael has not gotten back the chemicals, since they warned me they would send them by land carrier, and that it would take at least 4 months for the chemicals to get back to the US.....how do you like them apples?.....My taxes at work...lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yikes, better off sneaking over the border on a buro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If anyone wants to see a print I'll send you one of my 5x7's in an 11x14 mat for a small fee . Just send me a PM so I know to print one when I'm done with my chemistry work this week and I'll mail one out to you for $15 (which includes shipping)--trying to convert some of the equity I have in palladium into gum

If you want to see the next step up in quality check out the Contact Printer's Guild or Jorge's auctions--but I know some can't afford the cost but still want a peek.

note: these will be finished prints and not seconds. Get it now before I'm famous, right, Jim Galli
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I mess up on my silver prints, I usually wash them up with the rest of the batch and start cutting them up into 2" x 5" sections with a paper cutter and pick the best abstract out and use them as book-markers. Fiber prints have really nice thickness' that'll hold up well for it.

Andy
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As I can't buy ferric oxalate in Australia (it's always stale and only available for export sales) and can't afford the ridiculous prices that chem supply companies want for metal salts I have no chance of ever seeing (or preferably making) a Pt/Pd print.

Yeah sure I'd like a print but I would prefer to see a step wedge guide.
    Is there anyone who crops these from their Pt/Pd prints before sale and is willing to post one to Australia?

If so, let me know and I'll pm my address!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    If anyone wants to see a print I'll send you one of my 5x7's in an 11x14 mat for a small fee . Just send me a PM so I know to print one when I'm done with my chemistry work this week and I'll mail one out to you for $15 (which includes shipping)--trying to convert some of the equity I have in palladium into gum

If you want to see the next step up in quality check out the Contact Printer's Guild or Jorge's auctions--but I know some can't afford the cost but still want a peek.

note: these will be finished prints and not seconds. Get it now before I'm famous, right, Jim Galli
    Jeremy,

Not sure if you're taking requests, but I'd gladly pay you for a copy of your "dry cleaning machine", or another image if you prefer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many museams with photography collections will allow patrons to view prints that arent currently on display up close, not in a frame behind glass. The Art Institute of Chicago has a program like this. You call them up, mention you are interested in a certain type of print (or photographer), be it 19th century gum prints or platinum prints and theyll pull them out for you to look at up close, without frames just a matted print directly from the vault.

Just thought to mention its worth calling your local large museam to check. If they allow it and have a program like this you can hold some rare beautiful prints from some famous photographers..... in nearly any process you could imagine.

I saw some great platinum and gum prints earlier in the month at the ARTIC and they are surely very beautiful objects! Especially the platinum base, with gum on top......
    Last edited by Christopher Colley; 02-24-2005 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: elaboration
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

prints

The Center for Creative Photography is the BIG HOUSE depository for many of the greats. You can go in; look at the menu, and then sit in a beutiful room-only they provide an assistant to turn the prints. Just as good though. It's in Tucson Arizona.
    Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin