Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,480   Online: 1080

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I contacted her today....lets see what she says!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if you're going to get Ellie over here to do one, or convince Alex to run another one, I'll tag along as long as it's not too pricey...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Id love to do a workshop! My wife was going to give it to me for my birthday.

I'll email Alex again and see what he says, if you're up for it Dr!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK....while I am waiting responses re, materials, I think I might ask a few more questions.

I have resisted the urge to buy a LF camera, but I think I have received the message from the Gods....and you'll all be pleased to know that its my "New Digital Camera" fund that I'll be spending on the purchase....

So, I'm after some camera recommendations - I am assuming that pretty much "anything" 4x5 will do. At this stage, I am thinking a folder of some description + a lens, somewhere in the 150mm to 200mm range. Oh and I would probably start with modified sheet film holders.

Is there any specific camera/camera type that I should be avoiding?

As for other gear, well, if I play with dry plates first, I should have this pretty much covered with my current darkroom setup. Is there anything obscure I would need to consider?

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a Toyo 45D for sale, as soon as I put it back together, if you're interested. It's a monorail but a really light one (because there's no geared movements or anything). Or you can at least borrow it to try until you get a real one...

(ps, but no lenses I can lend, unless you can deal with a 150mm Comparon mounted on a Press shutter. It works and makes beautiful shots, but I don't know if it works at non-macro distances just because I've never tried)
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 07-29-2014 at 07:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do you like to shoot outdoors, or uber-complicated setups indoors? If I know you at all, it's the former, which means DO NOT BUY A MONORAIL. You want a field camera. Yes it costs 4x as much, but there is no way I could imagine lugging any of the monorails that I've tried around outside on a good walk. Then again, if you only plan to shoot wetplate, you'll probably be right next door to your darkroom/lab and a cheap monorail that you can drip nasty liquids inside is a good option.

If you like slightly-wide normals, get a 150. If you like slightly-long, get a 210. I personally have a 150 and would prefer that it was a 180, but that's probably because I spend so much time with the 110mm on 6x7. I have a 240, and it's too short for a "long" lens for me so I think I need a 360. 90 is nice; going wider than 90 usually means bag-bellows and insufficient coverage for movements unless you spend $103+.

If you like long lenses and/or high magnifications (a close headshot is more than 0.5x magnification!), check the bellows length. My 45A barely does 300mm and that's very limiting. Some cameras have interchangeable bellows. If you want to shoot 65mm, you probably want some means of putting a bag bellows on because recessed lens boards totally suck (you can't reach the controls, sometimes need special right-angle adapters for the release cable, and tilting/swinging causes shifts).

Try to get one with a Graflok back so that you can put rollfilm holders on it. Why modified sheet holders? Get at least a handful of normal ones and use them to practise with the camera and some cheap (Arista) film before trying the super-difficult approach. Being confident in the camera means less things to worry about when you start on the wetplate - know that your bellows are light tight, apertures and speeds are accurate, GG is correctly aligned, etc, etc.

For the wetplate, which I understand is a super-slow emulsion, I would be tempted to drop a small quantity of cash on one of Reinhold's homemade meniscus lenses. I think they're around f/3.5 or so depending on focal length and very cheap. No shutter, but that's what your velvet-lined top hat is for

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ What he said.
    I'm not a big fan of lugging the monorail (Toyo G) around, but I don't mind carrying it for 1-2km from the car. I've got my 65mm SA on a recessed Linhof board, on a recessed Linhof-Toyo adapter, even then it just reaches infinity with bag-bellows and is an absolute two-syllable bee-artch to use.
    The only reasons I'm not getting a Field is a) because as soon as I get my Travelwides I'm supergluing the 65mm to it and never using it on a real camera again, and b) because I've got a 465mm Apo Ronar and 600mm Apo-Tessar, and the monorail is infinitely extendable.

Speaking of lenses, I've actually got a 180mm MC Symmar-S and 270mm Tele-Arton, with 1 shutter between them. Because of the tele-factor the apertures actually line up perfectly so I just swap elements between the one shutter (the 180 came on a different shutter which is now elsewhere). And the extension of the 270mm Tele Arton is only about 180mm at infinity too.

Meanwhile, now that I've got a 617 back and an 8x10, I'm looking for a nice 150mm for the 617 (the 180 actually vignettes to 6x14 or so) and a 210/240 to cover 8x10 (to complement my 12"/300mm TR Convertible).
    Once I've got them in place I'll probably sell the 180/270 combo-lens as a package perfect for a Field, if anyone's interested in that too...

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All good and wise comments gents.....and having used your monorail Polyglot, I concur, a field camera is what I'm after. This time (hopefully) I have the budget to spend. I have also come to the realisation that I'm not going to optically enlarge from any resulting output, so I'm not going to put pressure on myself to buy a new enlarger.....yet.

As for using modified film holders, this was what I thought was the simplest and cheapest option when shooting plates.

Re, lens selection, this is always going to be a tough one for me. Personally, I would like to start with a 150 and probably a 210, if the initial budget gets me that far. (I'm thinking of a budget of between $1k to $1.5k, ready to shoot).

Cheers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know you don't plan to buy an enlarger, but I'm trying to shift a 4x5 enlarger for a friend. He'd probably take a pretty low offer if he thought it was going to be used making good art.

Your budget is plenty high enough. You should be able to get a good folder for $500 (I think I saw a Tech IV on here recently for about that and woodies can be cheaper if you get lucky; I've even seen a 45A go for $400 from someone who was desperate), a 150mm lens for $200 and $50 should get you 5 basic holders. Maybe $30 for a loupe, and spend an afternoon sewing fishing weights into a Spotlight/Ikea blackout curtain for a darkcloth. I think I've got under $1500 in my LF gear and that includes Toyo 45A, 3 decent lenses, Schneider 6x loupe, ~20 film holders and spot meter.

Let's just not think about the $250 I spent on a 3010... Actually that reminds me, the guy selling the enlarger was into BTZS tubes. They might be available if you don't want to develop in trays, though they might have gone to whoever bought his camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, I'm all set for developing, using my existing Jobo. I have 2 of those 4x5 reels, + drum/core/funnel.

Re, the enlarger....gulp, how big is it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin