Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,239   Posts: 1,680,024   Online: 946

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    best bet is to go for a drive one weekend and do Ellie's workshop - I've done both the Tintype and Ambrotype ones, and they are fun...and it's not that hard to do - really!

I don't think Ellie offers a kit, but as Craig said she may be able to put something together for you. The hardest part is getting the collodion. You should be able to pick up silver nitrate locally, and the developer is fairly simple to mix. As for fixer you can use any fixer such as Hypam, Ilfofix, Foma etc....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    as for film holders you can find second hand holders that take plates easily enough - these will work with tintypes, although I tend to use standard film holders. You just need to make the plate a bit longer and narrower than the standard film size it takes so you can slide the end under the top of the holder and fold the bottom flap over so it will hold the plate in place - this worked well enough with the 5x7's I played with a while back..
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also heard of people using "pack film holders" for holding wet plates, they're usually called Graflex 'Model 2' or '1234' in 4x5 (1232 is 2x3 and 1233 is 3x4). There's a few hundred of them on the 'bay for as much as a regular film holder, and (allegedly / probably) work better for anything thicker than real film. I'm not bastardising my own until I've finished my pack of 1972 Tri-X though.

Meanwhile, cheapest silver nitrate I've found is at Auschems, $50/25g, compare that to Asis in Hindmarsh, quoted me $125 for 25g (which may just be a better grade than I need). Let me know if you want to split a pack of that or KCl / KI / KBr / NH4Br, which I'll probably also be getting soon to make my own emulsions.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, I got a message from Ellie. Apart from doing the wet collodian process, she recommends the Foma liquid emulsion for dry plate work.

So, now I have some leads, which is great. Time to hunt down a camera.....
    If you get a chance, check out my new Facebook Page, Kustoms On Silver!

Hoffy's Flickr Photostream (Not quite analog Only, but nearly!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your looking for film holder that take glass look out for MEP or MPE ? There the wooden one that are a bit thicker than normal but have a removable plate which holds the film. When this is removed a glass plate slips right in so you get two plate per filmholder unlike a modified filmholder that only allows one plate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin