Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,132   Posts: 1,637,257   Online: 1228

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Tintype/Rockaloid in Australia?

Hi All,

I have been really keen to give Tintype photography a go for quite a while now. I have actually been waiting for a workshop to come up locally to try before I commit, but it appears its not being run this year.

Anyhow, I have decided to investigate giving it a try.

From what I have read, the best starting point is to use the Rockaloid kits. Does anyone know if these kits are available in Australia? If not, does anyone know if Rockland overseas?

Cheers
    If you get a chance, check out my new Facebook Page, Kustoms On Silver!

Hoffy's Flickr Photostream (Not quite analog Only, but nearly!)

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Gold Street Studios is your best starting point for most alternative processes in Australia. If Ellie doesn't know the answer, she'll probably know where to find it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi hoffy

you might email rockland directly to see if they have someone local that sells their kits
    or buy directly from them.
    you might consider buying thr developer direct from them
    it is a proprietary / secret formula and there really isnt anyone with
    a formula to replace it ... from what i gather you can probably
    use any sort of liquid emulsion ...

its fun though, when the weather cools down and school starts again i hope to start up again ..

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to Total Photographic in Kent Town, they had some Photographers Formulary kits on the shelf when I was there last week (and if not, they can order it in). Possibly more expensive than B+H, but not bad once you factor in postage. They've also got Liquid Light from Rockland, so they can also order from them if needs be (but their LL is twice the price of B+H).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the replies.

I noticed that B&H won't ship the gear, so hopefully its just one of their restrictions.

I'll give Totals a try as well.

Then, there is the next question......I need to organise some form of camera....and trays.....and......

Shooter
    Large Format
    I second the suggestion to call Ellie at Gold Street Studios in Victoria. She sells complete kits there without the crazy overseas shipping prices.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that The Analogue Lab (Alex Bishop-Thorpe of AFDUG fame) do tintype workshops or at least have done so in the past. For example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigt View Post
    I second the suggestion to call Ellie at Gold Street Studios in Victoria. She sells complete kits there without the crazy overseas shipping prices.
    the rockland kits are silver gelatin tintypes .. m guess is gold street sells wet plate kits
    still a ton of fun, but a little different materials wise ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I'm pretty sure that The Analogue Lab (Alex Bishop-Thorpe of AFDUG fame) do tintype workshops or at least have done so in the past. For example.
    Yes he does. I asked him back in March if they were doing one this year. At that stage they had nothing planned. I looked at their calendar on the weekend, which seems to go into the new year. They still have nothing listed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    the rockland kits are silver gelatin tintypes .. m guess is gold street sells wet plate kits
    still a ton of fun, but a little different materials wise ...
    I do know that Ellie does the wet plate kits but also runs dry plate classes and would be able to put a kit together. I personally run the wet plate masterclasses at Gold Street Studios and at the Queensland Museum. I am very confident that Ellie can provide any materials that might be needed, but go with who you feel most familiar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin