Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,344   Online: 1139

Shooter
    Medium Format

Detail in the Blacks for Pd/Pt

Hello all- need some printing advice. Ive been working in Pd/Pt this week for the first time and Im starting to get results that Im almost happy with. I have a decent work flow going starting with a digital negative, a good curve (that I made from a step curve that I printed), a good exposure time etc... my only problem is that I can't quite control the detail in the blacks. My print is far too contrasty, which might be the reason (Im using NA2 and going by NA2 drop chart for a high contrast digital negative). I like the exposure that Im getting but just not the detail... oh and Im using a Epson r2400 with k3 inks, with matte black vice the photo black....Ill be trying out photo black tomorrow when my order gets in.

Im thinking its a negative and UV blocking issue that might be fixed with the next ink..but Im not sure. All the other consumables Im using are of the standard that people recommend (pictorico film, arches plantine etc)... or it could be that Im mixing my stuff to contrasty.... thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/100176...2/14603952697/ heres the image that Im referring to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of the characteristics of any matt paper medium such as platinum is a flattening of the lowest parts of the shadows. In your case, you probably won't have detail in any areas under 20 when looking at the positive.

I look at silver gelatin and alt processes as almost two different mediums, in the same way oils and watercolors are both painting but couldn't be any more different in terms of texture and tonality. So when I am working with carbon prints from my Epson I try to make sure I don't have any silver prints lying around that will influence my perception of the natural beauty of the carbon. They are both beautiful in their own fashion.

A good example is to look at Paul Strand's various experiments in silver, platinum and gravure. An image like the Blind Woman shows remarkable changes from silver to gravure. I've seen both and the gravure version is sublime, even though the shadows tend to be flatter.

Which is a long way of saying "you might not like it, but you better learn to love it."
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry to be a wet blanket but this is not a discussion for APUG. While alternative processes are certainly within the realm, discussions of inkjet printers and digital negatives belong at hybridphoto.com .

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin