Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,466   Posts: 1,597,451   Online: 824

Shooter
    4x5 Format

kallitype selenium archival quality

Hi,

I'm thinking to try kallitype process. It's necessary to tone the image. Palladium and gold are expensive, so I found selenium can be a cheap alternative for them. Is selenium toned image has the same good archival quality as palladium or gold one?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I always selenium tone my kallitypes. From unblinkingeye: "In selenium toning, metallic silver is converted to a silver selenide, which is highly resistant to the effects of oxidizing agents."
    Is it archivally equivalent to palladium or gold toning? I don't know, but I believe it's better than not toning at all. I dilute KRST 1:400 and tone for 4 minutes at 21C. If you experience slight bleaching of the high lights, increase your exposure time slightly to compensate. I've never experienced bleaching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Andrew,

When toning with selenium do you tone before or after fixing?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you for your help!
    Can you show me some links, where I can see examples for selenium toned kallitype images?
    What do you think, what kind of paper should I buy to able to make sharp images with wide tonal range? Is Rising Stonehenge a good choice? Where can I buy it in Europe?
    Last edited by Bakody; 08-01-2014 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I always selenium tone after fixing because done before fixing, selenium will react with residual silver nitrate in the paper and will cause staining.

Bakody, I only use Rising Stonehenge. It's cheap and images look great on it, especially after a pre-acidification bath. You should be able to buy it at an art store.
    Not sure where there are examples of toned kallitypes. Do a google search.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin