Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,431   Online: 805

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmikol View Post
    ... It's been a while since I've done anything with DAS, but my exposures were more like 20 minutes, and the tissue/negative sandwich was getting *hot*. If I could cut that by even 5 minutes (10 would be better) it would be a huge improvement.

--G
    gmikol,

Thanks for giving a good reason to want to reduce the time. I was thinking only pre-press production workers would need special glass to boost productivity, but for an artist... time is not a big issue.

I'm used to seeing special UV passing glass in small pieces... up in the top of the unit protecting the point-source lamp. Not necessarily as the vacuum frame top glass.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's why individualized testing is important, IMO. There are subtle differences in everyone's setup. Even "plain window glass" can have some variability in how much UV it passes. Negative substrates can differ slightly (acetate vs. polyester, especially, but minimizing base + fog as well). So can the mylar you might use between the neg and print or tissue. Each of those things eats light, and it adds up, some more than others.

To the OP: If your exposure times are short enough, who cares...whatever plain glass you use is fine. But, like me, if they start to run the risk of damaging the negative, or preventing a good print, then something needs to be fixed, and the glass is as good a place to start as any, IMO.

I wish the top (bulb-protecting) glass in my NuArc was small. It's 11"x14" !! No quartz glass for that.

--G

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin