Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,851   Online: 907

Shooter
    Multi Format

Salt Paper Printing Question

A couple of questions on Salt Printing:

1. Yesterday I was printing a negative on an unknown paper which I didn't size and that I thought was FA. The dmax looked good in the printing frame but the instant it hit the salt water and cCA clearing bath there was a noticeable loss of dmax in two areas of the print. I'm assuming this paper isn't suitable for the salted paper process without pre-processing treatment of some kind but my question is: What would cause that to happen?

2. What is the “front” on Bergger Cot-320 paper? Is it the smooth side or the side with some “tooth?” I'm asking because I always thought that the front on any sized paper would be the smooth side and where the watermark would read right side up. However two days ago I printed on Lanaquerrelle and the watermark was on the side with tooth.

Thanks,

Thomas
    Last edited by Tom Taylor; 08-13-2014 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thomas

No art passes our conscience in the way that film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.
    — Ingmar Bergman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thomas

I use quite lot of 320 paper and always print on the smooth side

Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Simon. I've always used the smooth side also but that Lana sheet had me questioning my understanding (they must have put the watermark on the wrong side for that sheet).

I made two very nice salt prints of a cityscape yesterday that I toned with borax gold to a slight pinkish hue to match the City's presumed political leanings. I'm going to dry mount one today and put it on the wall somewhere.

Thomas
    Thomas

No art passes our conscience in the way that film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.
    — Ingmar Bergman

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin