Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,955   Online: 929

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Which Infra Red film did you use?

THe more I think of it, the more convinced I am that, using the R25 filter, there does not need to be any "compensation". Considering the cut-off characteristics of the filter, the only light that will get through will be the light that is seen while focusing - directly.

I notice that on the newest Hasselblad lenses, the IR reference mark is missing ... and I think the reason behind that was it was causing focusing errors with films like Konica IR, Ilford SFX (? was that the "extended" color sensitivity film?), MACO 750 and 820 and a #25 filter.

I can see where it might be of use with Kodak HIE, and a filter with a high cutoff point like the #87 or #89 - the use of these precludes direct focusing anyway.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey Ed,
    I used Kodak HIE and a red #25. Metered through the camera lens. Will get to developing this Tuesday and will let everyone know.
    Thanks to everyone that has responded with their words of advice! This was my first post. I'm very excited to be a part of this group. I'm in the process of following my heart of becoming a photographer (from being a scientist).
    Lisa

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkergirl
    Hey Ed,
    I used Kodak HIE and a red #25. Metered through the camera lens. Will get to developing this Tuesday and will let everyone know.
    Thanks to everyone that has responded with their words of advice! This was my first post. I'm very excited to be a part of this group. I'm in the process of following my heart of becoming a photographer (from being a scientist).
    Lisa
    Welcome from another photographer/scientist. Though the latter pays the bills for the former at the moment.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkergirl
    . . . I'm in the process of following my heart of becoming a photographer (from being a scientist).
    Aren't most photographers just artistic scientists at heart?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey everyone!

Developed the roll of infrared and, if I may say, I think it pretty much rocks for a first roll. The other consideration is the ISO setting. My negatives were a bit dark, so if I stop down next time to comensate for my camera thinking its 100 ISO, I'll be good. I'll try my hardest to post some pics tomorrow (I have limited computer toys and need to go to another location to scan).
    Thanks again for all your support!

And, I definitely agree with Ralph's last e-mail!!!!!!! I feel like a geeky artist!

Lisa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using a 25 red with HIE, most of the actual exposure is coming from visible-spectrum light, so no focus compensation is required. Once the visible light is filtered out by a "real" IR filter, the difference in wave length becomes more of an issue.

Glad the first roll came out close, Lisa. If you use the in-camera meter, I'd just adjust the ISO setting on the camera to a higher setting to reduce the density of the negs. If you shift to an opaque IR filter, however, you'll need to use a different ISO setting, and compensate manually. The meter in the camera won't see any more than you do through the opaque filter.

Here's a chart of various IR Filters & Films
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Lisa,

Glad it worked. I've been messing around with the Maco IR films which are a bit slower (but are available in 120 and 4x5) and have been getting some pleasing results. If you want to try a cheap IR filter a piece of unexposed but processed E6 film works well but you might need to go to 120 or 4x5 size to get something big enough to cover the lens. I often forget to reset the focus when I slip the filter into the holder but as someone else mentioned if you stop down enough it doesn't matter.

Regards,
    Roger.
    PS I'm also one of those scientist/photographers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin