Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,747   Online: 837

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not that hard to obtain alt process chemicals in Europe, whatever our Belgian correspondent asserts.

Moersch in Germany and many others in Italy, France and Spain will ship all over Europe.

Rarer reagents and whatnot can often be found on eBay

In the UK it can be a little more difficult, such as Silverprint no longer selling dichromate to individuals, but generally the problem is the cost of shipping rather than unavailability.

It is impossible now to buy metaborate (of all things) in the UK, but even though Silverprint have stopped selling dichromate to individuals, one can still buy it by the bucketload from any number of online sellers

As for guns, Europe has never had a "gun culture" in the same way as the US, and the idea that the EU has "taken away our guns" is faintly bizarre ... but experience tells that bringing discussions about firearms into a photo thread is asking for it to degenerate fast and get locked. So better leave it there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sure, you can get stuff online at the moment (but often you break your bank in terms of shipping) but with more and more EU involvement it's only a matter of time until they enforce rules that prohibit shipping without special licenses and stuff. I rather want to buy my chems locally because of saving on shipping and don't have the risk of losing it on the way to me. Also, there is a certain degree of anonymity with buying locally. I rarely order chems online but when I do I always wonder when the bell rings if it will be the postman or the police. And before you call me paranoid, a few years back I regularly ordered items from Holland, one day I expected a package but instead of my package it was the local police asking me if I agree to voluntarily let them search my house for drugs (I refused of course). Turned out that some guy at the post office found it suspicious that I received that many boxes from Holland and he thought I was importing weed, so he called the cops on me. They never came back with an order, probably because they couldn't get any hard evidence for a court order. I'm just saying that in comparison with, say 20 years back, much has changed and not for the better.

And in terms of the guns, we indeed didn't have the same gun culture as in the US but till around the 1930's Europe actually had a gun culture in terms of many shooting clubs, just for the fun of it.This all changed over time and a few years back the EU jocks decided that no country in the EU should allow sale of a fire arm without license (for which you have to pay big €'s of course) because for a dictatorship nothing is more dangerous than an armed population, Hitler knew that and so did Stalin and we all know how that ended. Belgium was of course one of the first to lick the balls of the EU jocks. And man, how they licked, they licked them clean all the way. Nowadays shooting clubs are almost a thing of the past, they even have set a limit how many people can have a license in the whole of the country. It will come as no surprise that Belgium has just over 3.000.000 unlicensed weapons floating around on a population of little over 10.000.000 inhabitants. Yes, they try to take our guns away but in the end we don't let them.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Back to the blog - I saw that blog a few months ago now. Its great that she is embracing the art and I only wish to encourage her.

But (& there is always a but), I think that there are much better examples of Tin Types being shot today, with a mixture of the traditional process and modern subjects.. Giles Clement (illumiquest on here) and Craig Tuffin (also a member here) do absolutely stunning work and are such an inspiration.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    Yep, a rare sight to see young people going into alternative photography. This is partly because of stupid rules made up by people who know squat about chemicals makes it harder and harder to get the chemicals needed to do them. Other reason might be the limited knowledge about the old ways of photography. We have a Museum of photography in Belgium and even there very little info can be obtained about old processes. They have old process photographs and they are often called, "salt print of this", "Van Dyck Brown of that" but besides the names of the processes not much ohter info is provided about them. A real shame this is.
    A rare sight? That depends on where you live. Where I come from, it's as rare as the beginning of each semester.

Images
    Good to see a member of the not so old set taking the step into the alt world. I am inclined to agree with Hoffy. Just because you got an image does not mean you got a good image on the plate. I hope the artist is thoughtful and reflective enough to realize she has a long way to go, and works to get there. There is potential.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    unfortunately every few years the EU tightens regulations on chemistry; essentially anyone selling chemistry such as bichromate or colodium to private persons is in breach of the law What is more, there is a whole lot of laws governing waste and if there is paper trail, sooner or later you may need to account for what you did with the waste. So, if you have a chance to buy things with no questions asked, my advice is stock up for years. Preferably taking no invoice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Back to the blog - I saw that blog a few months ago now. Its great that she is embracing the art and I only wish to encourage her.

But (& there is always a but), I think that there are much better examples of Tin Types being shot today, with a mixture of the traditional process and modern subjects.. Giles Clement (illumiquest on here) and Craig Tuffin (also a member here) do absolutely stunning work and are such an inspiration.
    +2 !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin