Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,129   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Newer generations finding interest in alternative processes

Dinah DiNova is a very young photographer. She's of a generation that barely remembers film. But she has a real interest in tintype photography. But she's pretty rare in her generation I feel.

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2014/04/11...ning-tintypes/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep, a rare sight to see young people going into alternative photography. This is partly because of stupid rules made up by people who know squat about chemicals makes it harder and harder to get the chemicals needed to do them. Other reason might be the limited knowledge about the old ways of photography. We have a Museum of photography in Belgium and even there very little info can be obtained about old processes. They have old process photographs and they are often called, "salt print of this", "Van Dyck Brown of that" but besides the names of the processes not much ohter info is provided about them. A real shame this is.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in the U.S., all the chemicals required for this gal to make tintype are easily available. But on the other hand, sometimes chemicals are too available where the some chemical are not used for what it's intended. Recent examples are the use of fertilizers to make bombs. I think I'm lucky that I can buy most photo chemicals in bulk here easily and cheaply.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The bigger restriction seems to be on chemicals that could alternately be used to make dope, which includes quite a list of things it's almost
    unbelievable anyone would deliberately introduce into their personal physiology, including heavy metal salts. But how much damage can someone that stupid to begin with do to their brain anyway? ... But alt processes are pretty popular around here with the younger crowd,
    more so it seems than silver photography. But as usual, most of it comes out either awfully artsy/craftsy or pseudo antique-ish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting photos!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think there is a difference between the US and Europe. Here in Europe it's becoming more and more difficult to get chemicals for alt process. Silverprint in London for example may not sell Dichromates anymore to private persons because of legal dumbo crap. Here in Belgium it's barely managable, there is 1 shop in my surroundings that sell raw chems without asking stupid questions. But I fear the day they quit with it because of insane Euro trash regulations. I know nobody in real life that does any Alt process, the closest people come is polaroid these days. It's like I'm living in the dark ages of photography here and it's all digi crap as far as you can see.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The bigger restriction seems to be on chemicals that could alternately be used to make dope, which includes quite a list of things it's almost
    unbelievable anyone would deliberately introduce into their personal physiology, including heavy metal salts. But how much damage can someone that stupid to begin with do to their brain anyway? ... But alt processes are pretty popular around here with the younger crowd,
    more so it seems than silver photography. But as usual, most of it comes out either awfully artsy/craftsy or pseudo antique-ish.
    yeah some people are dopes, that is for sure ...
    i have heard of people going int electrical sub stations ( live )
    to steal the copper .. not the brightest bulb on the tree ...

regarding arts/craftish antiquish images ...
    sometimes you have to be a bit conservative
    before you can have enough confidence to do your own thing ... ?

there are millions of mimics in every "genre".
    if it makes them happy, thats what counts, no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    But I fear the day they quit with it because of insane Euro trash regulations ...
    what is insane about the trash regulations? what you are or are not allowed to dump down the drain or into the landfill? the us has regulations as well, maybe as strict as yours? and i hate to say this but a lot of people dont care about regulations, which is sad because some chemicals end up in the ground water and water supply or poison fish, birds, frogs &c because of it ... they believe it is their right do do whatever they want, or believe they generate such a small quantity of waste it doesnt matter ...oh well ...

thanks for the link MCM! you always post good stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    what is insane about the trash regulations? what you are or are not allowed to dump down the drain or into the landfill? the us has regulations as well, maybe as strict as yours? and i hate to say this but a lot of people dont care about regulations, which is sad because some chemicals end up in the ground water and water supply or poison fish, birds, frogs &c because of it ... they believe it is their right do do whatever they want, or believe they generate such a small quantity of waste it doesnt matter ...oh well ...

thanks for the link MCM! you always post good stuff
    I think you miss understood me, I was only saying that the Euro regulations are trash, not that I'm opposed against waste disposal regulations. In view of disposal we have a pretty good system where I live. I collect all waste chemicals (like developer and fixer) and were I live I can bring it to a place were they see it's processed without doing harm to nature. The last thing I want to do is harm the plants and animals. It's just that since a few years the whole Euro thing is spinning out of control, when the Euro jocks decide something all countries have to lick their balls and nod franticly like they were a kind of puppy dog. It's really disgusting and it's not only going about very mundane stuff, it's also very specific stuff they shouldn't get involved with in the first place. First they want to take our guns and now they want to take our chems, damn dictatorship if you ask me. What they accomplish has little effect on things like drugs (because specific key chemicals for making illegal drugs are already so regulated you cannot even buy them as a private person) or even the environment. What they do accomplish is that they push alternative processes deeper into obscurity. It has become so sad here in Belgium that it's actually more easy to get illegal and dangerous drugs than the rather harmless chemicals for cyanotype for instance. So, with all this going on it's not a big surprise that very few young people find their way into alt process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks uncle goose
    i had no idea what you were talking about
    and no idea that it was like that in belgium.
    i know of a handful of people in europe who are doing
    alternative process sort of things and never heard
    the back story about how it was hard to obtain the chemicals.
    i know now ... thanks!
    john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin