Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,769   Online: 888

Shooter
    Multi Format

First crack at Cyanotype ...

Only 170 years late, I finally caught up with this "Cyanotype" craze ...

Just 4 test strips today to prove to myself I could actually make it work. I used just some generic "art paper" and a couple of contrasty-looking negatives to contact. 20 minutes exposure in the late afternoon sun.

But thought I'd try something slightly different at the same time.

So, two strips with a standard A+B mixture, applied with a bit of foam I found down the back of the sofa.

And two strips with only the sensitiser applied, then exposed, and then the ferri applied to the exposed image to "develop" it.

Results attached. From left to right the first and third images are from the strips coated with the A+B mixed, and the second and fourth coated only with A then "developed" with B.

Interesting to note the differences ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cyanotest.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something is wrong -- it came out all blue. Ha ha ha. But welcome to the 19th century!

What paper are you using? Looks a bit porus You may want to try a hot press paper, or size it. For sizing the quick-and-dirty is spray starch. Better is gelatin.

In never thought of applying a then b separately. Interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hehe thanks.
    yes, it soaks up like blotting paper, it's probably intended for pencil rather than paint. But I also bought some gelatine for sizing. Did my research ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to be clear,doing it in two parts isn't a remotely original thought by me - I read about it on alternativephotography.com and a couple of other places. http://www.alternativephotography.co...anotype-prints
    Last edited by pdeeh; 09-03-2014 at 03:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    be careful, cyanotypes are addictive!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JN, some Silver nitrate arrived in the same parcel as the citrate, and I've got salt in the kitchen! There's no hope for me ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    uh oh ... nothing you can do but have fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    JN, some Silver nitrate arrived in the same parcel as the citrate, and I've got salt in the kitchen! There's no hope for me ...
    Have fun!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin