Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,097   Online: 888

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toning with Tea

Shooter
    35mm

Lemon?

If I stain my prints with tea and lemon do I get more yellow?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheaper tea bags are usually best. I got better results from Tetley tea bags than I did from Keemun (loose black tea).Sorry haven't tried Red Rose. Make sure the "solution" is cooled to around room temp or the stain will happen very quickly. I didn't let it cool and couldn't pull the print out fast enough. If left in too long, the print will end up looking the colour of very old newspaper (even if the tea is cooled). Not a very nice effect IMO.

I noticed some prints had areas around the edges that didn't stain, were left white. I thought it was due to poor washing, but Tim Rudman also noted this in his toning book.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    What about Tea & Milk? Creamier base or smoother tonality? <g>
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since lemon tends to dis-color the tannins me guesses you'll get very little stain.
    Try a scrap piece in a cup of tea

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I use Iced Tea, will I get a cold tone print?

You can also stain with coffee. I've read in a couple books instant is best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did some "tea toning" a couple of years ago. I used cheap Wal-Mart tea, about 4 bags to a quart of water. The prints were made on Ilford Warmtone RC paper and the solution was very [COLOR=Red]HOT[/COLOR]. I expected the RC paper to not work well but it actually did nicely without any damage. The paper had previously been toned with KRST. The photos were of the house where my grandparents lived when I was a kid. The tea gave the paper an aged look that went well with the subject matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm speaking of RC paper, but I would go against many of the recomendations to wait until the tea has cooled down. In my experience I did not achieve an acceptable result from cool tea. The best results I've had were using a pre-soaked RC print soaked in very warm water then the water is removed from the tray along with the print. The tea is poured into the tray, while not boiling I've had best results with it still very hot. Let print sit in the tray and agitate randomly for a period of 5-10 minutes, beware, the prints tone will darken as it dries...much more than you'd probably think.

I've never done this with fiber.

For a darker look try about 3 scoops (tablespoons) of ground coffee with about 12ounces of water for 1 8x10print, again, in my usage it only seemed to work how I expected with hot water.

Good luck!

(I've had prints that were stained a year ago in only tea, only coffee and a combination of coffee and tea and none have shown any ill effect)

Sidenote:
    I stained a print blood red with Kool-AID over a year ago, where it was very difficult to get correct and too much washing will remove the tone completely it definately works for creating 'wild' color youd normally not see. Try 2 packets of powder and about 6ounces of water (the less water the easier it stains, on RC glossy during the wash you can remove as much or as little of the stain as you want) for 1 8x10 let soak for 20 or so minutes with random agitation and wash until you get the tone you desire... it wont be sticky and touching the surface will leave fingerprints, it definately seems to 'keep' after staining as the print I created over a year ago still looks very red and doesnt seem to be eaten away or attract ants or anything of ill effect, seems crazy, I know...... but it really does work! (o yes, watch those hands unless you want red or blue stains on them you should wear gloves!)
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    If I use Iced Tea, will I get a cold tone print?
    har har!
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now, these are good and creative ideas. I'll definately give it a try. Thanks guys. =)

-Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey! If you tone/stain with Red Rose tea you get those cute little Wade Pottery figurines....you still get them, don't you?

I've gotta try it. I've stained rice paper I've used for Chinese brush painting...never thought to use it for photos!

(If I use sugar will my photos be sweeter???)
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin