Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,098   Online: 998

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Carbro Described - Websites?

I've been Web-wallowing on and off all day and have not yet found a website that gives anything close to a good description of this process...anybody know of any? I've found that there are several books, but I want to find out a bit more about it before I spend any money.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Still searching for information on and off on the Web...no luck...

Two days on APUG...only 66 views...no replies...

Nothing of substance on photo.net et all...

Could this actually be a topic for which there is no real information on the Internet..?

If I ever find anything with some meat to it, I'll post a link to it here...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well considering one of our new sponsors is an expert at carbro, I think you are ust a click away. Go to the home page and click on the carbro sponsors link at the bottom fo the page.
    Non Digital Diva

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    considering one of our new sponsors is an expert at carbro, I think you are just a click away.
    Yes Aggie, you also get an audio interview too ! I must say that the pictures featured on the site are impressive and I was very interested for myself but there are so many things I want to do that I have to be realistic.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Murray

It's not the most detailed description, but it does go through the basics.

http://www.alternativephotography.co...ss_carbon.html

Michael

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips guys...Mac at carbromac.com told me his new website should be up and running in a couple days, and that an 8x10 sample print is going to be $100.00.

I have a sinking feeling in my gut...if the image quality matches the hype and it works with my images, I'll have no choice but to start groveling around at the bottom of the learning curve...OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m. dowdall
    Murray

It's not the most detailed description, but it does go through the basics.

http://www.alternativephotography.co...ss_carbon.html

Michael
    I should point out that the process described at the above site is carbon, not carbro. Carbon is a contact printing process that requires a same-size negative. Carbro, on the other hand, uses a bromide print (preferably made on a paper that is not super-coated) and a special senstizer to transfer the image.

Compared to carbon, carbro has certain advantages and disadvantages. Among the advantages are the fact that you don't need a large negative and you can dodge and burn on the bromide, which is easier than dodging and burning in contact printing.

Among the disadvantages the primary one is that for really highest quality work you must make a new bromide for every print, while in carbon the same negative can serve to make an indefinite number of prints.

Another big difference between the two processes is the fact that carbro has more or less a finite point of development, whereas a carbon print will continue to lose density the longer it is developed, within reason. This makes it somewhat easier to make exact duplicates of prints with carbro than with carbon, and this is the primary reason it was preferred in the old days for color.

I worked primarily carbro for many years and describe the working procedures very fully in my manual on carbon and carbro printing. However, I eventually switched to carbon because I like the ability to control density in development and on the whole I have found the chemistry of the carbon process is more reliable than the chemistry of carbro. However, Carbro is probably somewhat easier to work today than it was some 10-15 years ago as non super-coated papers, which had disappeared from the market, are now available from at least two different manufacturers.

In any event the final result is the same, i.e. a pigmented gelatin print, and Mac is a master of carbro printing who has obviously found ways to take full advantage of the process.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 03-23-2005 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sandy,

Thanks for your kind words and great discription of the carbro process. Am starting to see your work in lots of places - about time.

Please tell me who makes the non super coated paper ?

Keep in touch and call me if you like 951-659 2752

Best

Mac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    as I do carbro printing, ask me what you need to know.

Mac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also want to add, that Mac has popped into the chat room, and we all had to scramble to check out his website. A very nice guy. He is also going to be doing a demonstration at Freestyle in LA soon. BTW, neither Mac or Freestyle asked me to say a thing about this.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin