Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,561   Posts: 1,646,501   Online: 676

Shooter
    Medium Format

silver nitrate solution

Hi,

I have 30g of silver nitrate in crystal form from which I'm planning on making a 12% solution.

Ideally, I would use all 30g at once and have 250ml of solution. This is because even though making the solution is rather easy, I'd prefer to only have to do it once for this amount of AgNO3.

My questions are: Is there an advantage in terms of longevity for crystals over a solution? AND, What would be the most proper way to store the solution? Stoppered brown glass bottle?

Thanks,
    Bleakley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Silver nitrate is very stable, as crystals or in solution. Any glass bottle is ok, since it's not sensitive to light unless combined with other compounds.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perfect. Thanks Barry!

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I had always heard that Silver Nitrate should be stored in a dark place in an amber bottle, as it is sensitive to light?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use it for wet plate, always storing 2 Litres. From time to time I fill it into a large bottle of clear glass with a wide mouth to evaporate the Ether. The bottle resides outside n the garden, most time even in the sunlight.
    Only from time to time I increase the amount of Nitrate to get the right density again. Nothing bad with it until today.
    I know someone who uses his solution since years that way ...

horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin