Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,347   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Infrared wood effect

Hi,
    i shot a roll of 120 maco IR 820 last weekend to test it out with a hoya 715 nm filter in front. I got pictures, but no wood effect on grass etc...
    Is this because of the early spring (not a heavy sun), of can it be something else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my limited use of Maco 820, I've found it needs lots of filtration and seems to respond well to over-exposure. I have no idea where a red 25A filter fits into the scheme of things in regard to nm but it has an effect but not a huge one. I use some unexposed developed E6 as a filter to obtain 'wood' effect.

The exposure details of the attachments were...

film414-08 --> 1/30sec @ f16, no filter
    film414-09 --> 1/4sec @ f16, 25A (red) filter
    film414-10 --> 1sec @ f16, E6 filter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails film414-08.jpg   film414-09.jpg   film414-10.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i used the Hoya R72 IR filter (89B)

exposed it as a 6 asa film.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan
    Hi,
    i shot a roll of 120 maco IR 820 last weekend to test it out with a hoya 715 nm filter in front. I got pictures, but no wood effect on grass etc...
    Is this because of the early spring (not a heavy sun), of can it be something else?
    Without seeing any of the shots you took, Willie, it's rather difficult to say. I did this shot in November (not exactly IR season), using an 88A filter. The sun had set and the day was overcast and you won't see as much of an IR effect as you might otherwise normally see. You don't need a really heavy sun, though I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in the picture.

http://dianemaher.fotopic.net/p9564485.html
    Diane

Halak 41

There are some examples of the Maco 820c film taken with the Hoya R72 filter on Marco Pauck site

http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/infr..._of_films.html

These examples reflect my experience with this film/filter combination in that it can achieve a good wood effect with jet black skies given the correct lighting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schambuk
    There are some examples of the Maco 820c film taken with the Hoya R72 filter on Marco Pauck site
    http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/infr..._of_films.html
    Thank you for the listing of this site!! Some of the most interesting and useful information I've seen anywhere on this machine!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    indeed, a very usefull link.

thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect your problem is mostly a matter of time of year and latitude - essentially, how much IR there was in the light. As IR is absorbed by the atmosphere, season and angle of the sun can greatly affect the amount of IR, and thus the degree of IR effect showing in the film.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Ralph, that's basically what I was getting at, but couldn't figure out how to say it.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW ... If I remeber right, Minolta is producing a Spot Exposure Meter expressly designed for use with Infra-Red film. I'll go back and check on where I saw it listed ... Calumet, B&H...?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin