Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,779   Posts: 1,671,161   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

blank areas on salt print

Hi
    I am having a hard time with salt paper printing. Some parts of it remain white, just if they were not sensitized.

Salting is a 5mn bath in citric acid 20g/salt 20g/gelatin 4g.
    Sensitizer is a 10% silver nitrate solution applied with coton ball TWICE.
    Anybody has an idea of where my problem comes from??
    thanks in advance
    Laurent Millet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen something like that happen when I dipped my hake brush in distilled water and did not shake it out well enough before applying the silver nitrate. Since then I always use my hake brush dry. Did you wet the cotton ball first?

Was the paper completely dry before applying the silver nitrate solution?

Edit: and welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pneumato View Post
    Hi
    I am having a hard time with salt paper printing. Some parts of it remain white, just if they were not sensitized.

Salting is a 5mn bath in citric acid 20g/salt 20g/gelatin 4g.
    Sensitizer is a 10% silver nitrate solution applied with coton ball TWICE.
    Anybody has an idea of where my problem comes from??
    thanks in advance
    Laurent Millet
    I think you have answered your own question in the first sentence - “Some parts of it remain white, just if they were not sensitized".

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    well somewhat remote, but plausible, is contamination! 1.either the paper from a store you bought it from? someone could have spilled on it, then left it to dry. 2.you yourself or someone close to you could have done that too. remember there are chemical foggants out there.
    I would strongly suggest you use a glass rod/push rod for both salt solution and for silver nitrate solution. If you haven't read MECHANISMS OF CONTROLLING COLOUR AND AESTHETIC APPEARANCE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHIC SALT PRINT by eleanor d. young. Its a good read.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    by the way, I really enjoyed your print!!!!! its not to often around here, that we get to see "abstract" work. best regards greg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree w/ gzinsel. Just sign it Clyfford Still, and hang it proudly on the wall.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Z-kQsIEM&itg=1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try doublecoating with %10 silver nitrate. If the problems gone it means you need a stronger silver nitrate solution.

I would have used slightly more than %12 to begin with because %2 salt and %2 citric acid in sizing.

Good reading on silver salt ratios.
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/POP/pop.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's just a miscoating, nothing to do with needing double coats or stronger nitrate or contamination.
    you've missed the bit that is white, nothing more.

take more care with coating, do it under a tungsten lamp so you can see what you are doing, and perhaps try a different material than cotton wool - a foam brush for instance. Cotton wool strikes me as not the best choice - too absorbent

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gzinsel View Post
    well somewhat remote, but plausible, is contamination! 1.either the paper from a store you bought it from? someone could have spilled on it, then left it to dry. 2.you yourself or someone close to you could have done that too. remember there are chemical foggants out there.
    I would strongly suggest you use a glass rod/push rod for both salt solution and for silver nitrate solution. If you haven't read MECHANISMS OF CONTROLLING COLOUR AND AESTHETIC APPEARANCE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHIC SALT PRINT by eleanor d. young. Its a good read.
    I used several papers with same results. All were high quality papers: Ruscombe Chateau Vellum and Fabriano Artistico. I discovered yesterday the thesis from Mrs Young, which is as you say an instructive book.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
    Try doublecoating with %10 silver nitrate. If the problems gone it means you need a stronger silver nitrate solution.

I would have used slightly more than %12 to begin with because %2 salt and %2 citric acid in sizing.

Good reading on silver salt ratios.
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/POP/pop.html
    Thanks for your advice, I am going to try this today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin