Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,179   Online: 1151

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been playing with the idea of trying handcoloring and was curious to know if any other APUGers were doing this. A search turned up this cool, informative thread!

Gldn, thanks for the info about making your own PM Solution as well as the Marlene stuff. One clarification; Do you use the Carbosol straight or mix it with something?

I was also curious to know if anyone has tried using Conte pastel pencils? I really like the way they blend and the color seems to lay down smoother than the Prismacolor pencils. But then, I haven't tried dipping the pencils in the PM solution. Is that the trick?

Does anybody have any example of their hand coloring efforts in any of the APUG galleries?

Thanks all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What? No one likes to color anymore

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't have any examples to upload, but I use Walnut Hollow Oil Pencils. I'm able to lay the color down more smoothly than with the Prismacolor pencils and I find I'm able to blend them more easily. Kentmere Art Document is the paper I generally use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Does anybody have any example of their hand coloring efforts in any of the APUG galleries?

Thanks all
    I have one I can scan for you, after trying the oils, went to the Marshall pencils and they were much easier for me...(and that is the key, find what you like and will use again.) At work right now :o but will try to scan and post tonight.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    I have one I can scan for you, after trying the oils, went to the Marshall pencils and they were much easier for me...(and that is the key, find what you like and will use again.) At work right now :o but will try to scan and post tonight.
    Cool - thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Cool - thanks!
    Well home now after loonngg day..but as promised here is the humble hand colored image. Seriously, there a many on this site and elsewhere that could show you some very good work..this is what can be done with NO knowledge and only an interest - plus some Marshall pencils...

Take a look at Paul Kozal's site to get an idea of what someone that knows more about this than I do....

What ever you do....DO NOT skip doing this, it is fun and to me a big part of what makes us do the kind of work we do. If we do the same thing, day in and day out our work starts to look the same and while that is not a bad thing...I like to sample a bit and see what works for me. A VanDyke here, hand colored there...who knows, the next thing to try is a hand colored Ziatype...never seen on of those before....

Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HCSunFlower.jpg  
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Well home now after loonngg day..but as promised here is the humble hand colored image. Seriously, there a many on this site and elsewhere that could show you some very good work..this is what can be done with NO knowledge and only an interest - plus some Marshall pencils...

Take a look at Paul Kozal's site to get an idea of what someone that knows more about this than I do....

What ever you do....DO NOT skip doing this, it is fun and to me a big part of what makes us do the kind of work we do. If we do the same thing, day in and day out our work starts to look the same and while that is not a bad thing...I like to sample a bit and see what works for me. A VanDyke here, hand colored there...who knows, the next thing to try is a hand colored Ziatype...never seen on of those before....

Enjoy
    A long day, huh? Sorry to hear that but thank you for taking the time to post your work anyway. The flower turned out just lovely!

And there is no way I'm going to "skip this"... I remember, as a little girl, spending hours coloring in my coloring books - happy as a lark. I've wanted to try photo coloring for a while... Bought some pencils years ago but then life got busy and you know how that goes. Now, it's time.

Thanks again for sharing your work and the link - I'm gonna go check it out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey ya'll... on another APUG thread, there was mention of a website called handcolor.com. Since I've become interested in this topic, I checked it out. Unfortunately, handcolor.com is no longer in service but there's a "Shop Hand Color" where I found a set of Marshall's pencils (a whole bunch of them) and some Marlene solution for cheap!

As a side note, these folks don't seem to answer their phone and an email I sent bounced back (after I'd placed my order which made me nervous) but the stuff showed up yesterday - pretty quick considering I placed the order on Monday. Free shipping too

So I just thought I'd pass the info along for anyone who is looking to try this hobby with minimal cash outlay. Enjoy!

p.s. I looked for Marshall's website but I couldn't find one for them. Odd, I think. Does anyone know if they have one and what the link is?

Digidurst,

I use Carbosol right out of the can, just dip the cotton in it a little goes a long way. I use it to remove color if I mess up. Say if you are doing somethig with a lot of detail, a lot of different colors close together, use the Carbosol or Marlene to clean the color out of unwanted areas with a cotton wrapped skewer or toothpick.

I like the Prisma color pencils, prime the paper with the pm solution, rub it out then use the pencils and they flow really well, then take your cotton ball or skewer and gently rub it to blend. You can dip the pencil in the PM or put some PM on a cotton ball and rub it on the end of the pencil to make it flow a little better.
    In a previous post I made a mistake, the recipe for PM that I use is 1/3 Safflower oil to 2/3 turpintine, Sorry mind is going.

Marshalls is at this link:
    http://www.bkaphoto.com/search_results.asp?path=search

In the previous link type in Marshalls in the search box and it will take you there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin