Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,695   Online: 1022

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just a quick thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I have recently started a project to make hand colored post cards and found the info and links in this thread very valuable. Thanks again!

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, Wayne, I have a hand-colored portrait of my father and his older brother that was done in 1918. The colors have probably faded a bit, but I think that's still pretty good.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW I think Tony Worobiec's work is the best example of handcoloring I have ever come across. I think his sucess is due to his ability to not overdue the application of color in an attempt to mimic a color photograph, but rather the restrained use of color to highlight a central theme and add a sense of drama to the image. He uses a number of mediums to do this (including Marshall's oil pencils). Many of his images in "Beyond Monochrome" are some of the most captivating photographs I have ever seen.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    ... I think his sucess is due to his ability to not overdue the application of color in an attempt to mimic a color photograph, but rather the restrained use of color to highlight a central theme and add a sense of drama to the image...
    I agree that his work is very powerful due to its specific use of color. Having said that, I also think that most color films today are oversaturated so perhaps that adds to his appeal, for me anyway.

Oddly enough, I forgot that there were hand colored images in his book. I still haven't managed to buy a copy for my library, but it shouldn't take too long to rectify that! Thanks for bringing it up.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Does anybody have any example of their hand coloring efforts in any of the APUG galleries?

Thanks all
    but of course..
    (I do it all the time..)

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=4887

liquid emulsion on very heavy paper.
    then hand coloured using the all time best material I know of: The (discontinued!!) silk dye from PEBEO ("orient express")..
    I still have some left, but the stuff so good is gone..

remind you of anything?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    ...Take a look at Paul Kozal's site to get an idea of what someone that knows more about this than I do....
    Amazing portfolio's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin