Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,321   Online: 928

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Argyrotypes - My beginner images

Hi all! I've just uploaded 3 Argyrotype images in my gallery ...

I really like how 'Angel Butt #1' turned out - seems the usage of less tween resulted in more sharpness and better tonal range. What do ya'll think? I would very much appreciate your comments, suggestions for improvements, etc.

Thanks for looking

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very good first attempts. A couple of observations and please bear in mind I know next to nothing about digital negatives.

It seems to me your curves are a little bit flat, the train wheel specially needed a more contrasty negative.

I have not used Dr. Ware's process, but from what I understand it is similar to kallitype, why are you using tween? tween is a surfactant that makes the solution absorb more into the paper, from my experience with kallitypes this is not a good thing, in fact why dont you try sizing the paper? if anything stop using tween, I think you will see better results.

All in all, a very good beguinning effort, hang in there....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jorge! I obviously need to refine the process but I'm happy with my beginnings especially considering I've never attempted anything like this before in my life. Heck, I'm just happy to see an image on the paper. LOL

Usage of tween was suggested in both the description of the process at alternativephotography.com and in the instructions in the book "Coming Into Focus". I am going to try again with the same negs using no tween and see what that gets me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Thanks Jorge! I obviously need to refine the process but I'm happy with my beginnings especially considering I've never attempted anything like this before in my life. Heck, I'm just happy to see an image on the paper. LOL

Usage of tween was suggested in both the description of the process at alternativephotography.com and in the instructions in the book "Coming Into Focus". I am going to try again with the same negs using no tween and see what that gets me.
    A very important distinction is the kind of paper you are using, some benefit from the use of tween, some dont. This is the nature of alt printing..... you have experiment a little. In any case, as I said you are well on your way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again, Jorge

Yes, experimentation is part of the fun. It'll be interesting to see how other papers react to the process and Argyrotpyes are my starting off point for other techniques. Of course, I want to get a handle on this one first but man, those carbon prints have me intrigued. Oh, if only there were more hours in the day!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin