Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,140   Online: 871

Thread: ziatypes?

Shooter
    35mm

ziatypes?

i was lurking around and have "heard" this mentioned several times, and, i've seen some examples, and the conversations about the paper and what not used. . . but, what exactly are they?

What is a ziatype?
    How do you go about creating one?
    and why?

curiousity killed the kitty, thank goodness, i have at least 7 more lives

Shooter
    Large Format
    The source for info would be its inventors, Bostick & Sullivan I understand that the difference between a pt/pl & ziatype is that the latter doesn't use a paper developer, just clearing agent/citric acid.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    35mm
    i tend to ask before i look, i just came across that page actually- thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference between a straight pld print and a ziatype is the pld print is a DOP or develop out processs where the zia is a POP process or print out process. In other words when the zia is exposed you can actually see the image develop, while with the pld, you might see a faint image until the image is processed.

Zia's are a lot of fun and I say give them a try if you are interested. Bostick and Sullivan has a kit for less than $80 that can be used...plus paper. Do yourself a favor if you purchase the kit and get some good paper, COT320 or something like it. I started with Cranes Kid Finish, and that was not the way to go..look at this link for more info.. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/A...pe/Ziatype.htm

Good luck
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    *shrugs a bit* i'm a tad bit new at all of this, and only shoot with a 35 mm and just do the basic black and white schtick right now. i've never even processed my own colour film. i'm looking into alternative processes, but am still perfecting just the 'simple' of what i'm doing. any suggestions or advice on something 'easy' that i can do with what i have in an alternative process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you can, indeed, do any of the alt. process even with 35mm..though it will be small. On the other hand you can make enlarge negatives from your 35mm..have not done this my self so others here would be a better source of information. Also, the Van Dyke's are much less $ to make - $20 for a kit. Look at unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html for more info on the Van Dyke process, it also discusses enlarged negatives.

You could also, slap me for saying this...make a digital negative, man that hurt....

Anyway do a search in the gray area of this site (alt process forum has a gray area) or better yet do a google search and you might find some information.

yeah, yeah .... jeremy, I said digital negatives..can you help with this one..I'm not feeling so good now...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    maso_me
    I recently purchased a 6x9 rangefinder camera on ebay for $25. bought some ilford 3200 speed Medium format film. Developed the roll and made some 6cm x 9cm contact prints in Van Dyke. they are tiny, but it was fun to coat and make some small contact prints. heres what a few of them look like.

Images
    Digital negs are a great thing and there are lots of knowledgeable people in the grey area. Personally I would become very familiar with the standard BW process before delving into the alt processes. The knowledge you gain doing this will help you when you move. More adventuroue souls, on the other hand, who have money to burn, jump right in. I tried the jump right in and made digital negs and spent a lot of money for failures, and that really sucked.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Using 35mm camera with B&W slide film (eg, Agfa Scala, Fomapan), one can create large size negatives for contact prints. After having the film developed by one of the labs such as DR.5, expose an 8X10 sheet of film (I'm currently using J&C Pro100 odd sized film, it's cheap) with an enlarger and your selected slide. The developed negative can then be used for contact prints.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin