Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,455   Online: 964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Paper again (Ptpd/Ziatype)

Quite question,

Can someone recommend a paper smoother and slightly brighter than platinotype? Does it require pretreatment? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried COT320? It is white and quite smooth....did I mention it is very white?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just did my first palladium prints and used COT320 and they are very nice. I recommend this paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Platinotype is as white as it gets. Arches platine is very white but it does not seem smoother to me.

Socorro is the smoothest paper I have used, but it is a creamy/yellowish paper.....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks! I forgot to mention the platinotype I use is natural. I'm concerned if platinotype white may be too white. I bought one of William Blunt's beautiful prints and he said it was used on Cranes 90# Distaf White ( now known as Pearl White) paper. It is smooth and not too white. Unfortunate this paper is no good for pt/pd anymore. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Thanks! I forgot to mention the platinotype I use is natural. I'm concerned if platinotype white may be too white. I bought one of William Blunt's beautiful prints and he said it was used on Cranes 90# Distaf White ( now known as Pearl White) paper. It is smooth and not too white. Unfortunate this paper is no good for pt/pd anymore. Thanks again.
    If you are in an adventurous mood you may wish to try giving the paper a soak in Oxalic acid. I've used Pearl White in the past with Ziatypes but haven't tried the latest batches so there is no guarantee that the paper can be made to work with Oxalic acid.

Cot320 is a good paper but I've always thought that Arches Platine is slightly smoother.

Good luck,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Ah well, that is an important point, the platinotype bleached is very white....if you like the tone of the natural platinotype you might like the tone from socorro.
    Just one drawback, if you use socorro you have to give it a pre oxalic acid or simply an acid bath. I have gotten away from using oxalic acid and now use hydrochloric acid to acidify the paper.

I have both paltinotype and socorro and socorro is much smoother than paltinotype.

Shooter
    Large Format
    eggshell,
    I am still trying to use the Pearl White Cranes (new) and it works if I mask the negative and coat paper with glass rod. It needs only a short rest before drying, just until it looks even and loses it's gloss. When I tried coating with a brush and leave the brush strokes they almost soaked thru the paper. Sure wish I hadn't bought a life time supply!
    Thanks for the kind comments.
    Wm Blunt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Have you tried COT320? It is white and quite smooth....did I mention it is very white?
    Is it smoother than platinotype? Don't scare me, but is it too white? Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge

I have both paltinotype and socorro and socorro is much smoother than paltinotype.
    I'll put this on my list in the meantime. Tough choice! Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin