Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,201   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Jay,

It is not uncommon to find that double coating will improve certain aspects of a pt/pd print. However, in some cases, double coating can worsen some qualities of the print. I have found that while double coating with a rod will improve the DMAX, I am not able to get the same smoothness of tone with the double coated print.

This was the driving reason I switched to brush coating a few years ago, and I haven't looked back.

I don't think that the improvement through double coating is any reflection on your negatives, it is simply the reality of the limitations of single coating. With double coating, you will get a lot more FO and metal salts into the paper, and the paper might also be a little better acidified and humidified due to the first coat.

What paper are you using? That may help determine whether a precoat with an acid might help the quality of the prints you get.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The paper that I had been using was a drafting paper, Bienfang Graphics 360. I started using it after being introduced to it at a pt/pd workshop. It's very thin but ultra smooth so it rendered exceptional detail. It actually tears very easily, though, so I was thinking of trying something new when working with 8x10 negatives. I think I'm going to look into some of the other papers mentioned in this forum, however, so that I know at least someone got good results with them! (At any rate, sorry for the delay in replying, but I had been out of town.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin