Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,135   Online: 1125

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ziatype emulsion stuck to neg, can I save it?

Was printing a ziatype today with a new neg that I had high hopes for. When I opened the frame to remove the paper, the neg was stuck to the print slightly. As I lifted the paper the neg peeled off by itself. Little dots of the ziatype emulsion are now stuck to the neg's emulsion side, which ruined the print. Is there anything I can do the remove the zia emulsion from the neg without damaging the neg, or is it ruined?

I haven't been using mylar between the neg & paper and haven't had a problem yet. I obviously didn't let the emulsion dry long enough this time. The print I made just prior to that was fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Soak the negative in water with a little Photoflo, be very gentle handling it. If the particles don't float free on thier own in 5 or 10 minutes a very gentle wipe under water may do it. Don't overdo it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Soak the negative in water with a little Photoflo, be very gentle handling it. If the particles don't float free on thier own in 5 or 10 minutes a very gentle wipe under water may do it. Don't overdo it.

With luck this will take care of it. I had this happen a few months ago, and lost the negative...still keep it around as a reminder, and use a sheet of mylar between the negative and the substrate. Some do not use it and never have a problem, but my guess is, that they are much more experienced than I and can tell when the substrate is 'dry enough' to do that.

Good Luck...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll try the photoflo, thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    With luck this will take care of it. I had this happen a few months ago, and lost the negative...still keep it around as a reminder, and use a sheet of mylar between the negative and the substrate. Some do not use it and never have a problem, but my guess is, that they are much more experienced than I and can tell when the substrate is 'dry enough' to do that.

Good Luck...
    I will second, and third and fourth the suggestion to use a sheet of thin mylar betwen the negative and sensitized paper when printing with alternative processes, whatever the process. Even the most experienced printers make mistakes and a mistake at this point will usually result in a ruined negative. Been there and done that enough to say that it ain't fun to destroy a really nice negative because the sensitized paper, or carbon tissue, had a bit too much moisture in it and it stuck to the negative during exposure.

Moreove, even if you don't have a problem in printing the archival quality of the negative is compromised by contact with iron and metal salts or with dichromate.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 04-25-2005 at 11:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The photoflo removed a little bit of it, but not all. Oh well, lesson learned. I will start using mylar between the neg & paper.

Thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    The photoflo removed a little bit of it, but not all. Oh well, lesson learned. I will start using mylar between the neg & paper.

Thanks for the help.
    Sorry to hear that Matt, but it matches my own experience, very little came off (once it's there it seems to be there)

Thanks for the tip Sandy, using mylar on All alt. process...will save a few negatives
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    Try PEC-12 after soaking the neg. Can't hurt at this point. Wipe gently with a chemwipe or a micro fiber cloth in on direction only.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Try PEC-12 after soaking the neg. Can't hurt at this point. Wipe gently with a chemwipe or a micro fiber cloth in on direction only.
    It ain't coming off no matter what you do. Live and learn!

Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin