Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,625   Posts: 1,622,918   Online: 1131

Shooter
    35mm

Carbon Transfer Exposure Time

Greetings - Is the exposure time for carbon transfer similar to that of Pt/Pd? If not, would carbon take 1/2 the time, twice the time, etc using the same negative? I'm using a bank of 8 F20T12/BL tubes about 4.5 inches from the contact frame for Pt/Pd. I'm trying carbon transfer for the first time, and I just hate having to figure out a starting exposure time. I just need to be in the ball park somewhere to start with. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc
    Greetings - Is the exposure time for carbon transfer similar to that of Pt/Pd? If not, would carbon take 1/2 the time, twice the time, etc using the same negative? I'm using a bank of 8 F20T12/BL tubes about 4.5 inches from the contact frame for Pt/Pd. I'm trying carbon transfer for the first time, and I just hate having to figure out a starting exposure time. I just need to be in the ball park somewhere to start with. Thanks in advance.
    Sorry, but there is no way for you to avoid doing the work of figuring out a starting time. Depending on the thickness of the tissue and the strength of the dichromate sensitizer the sensitivity of carbon tissue can range from two to three times as fast Pt./Pd to as little as half as fast.

If you are using the Bostick and Sullivan tissue the sensitivity will be about twice as fast as a 1:4 mix of platinumalladium.

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin