Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 816

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Coating for small prints

Can anyone give me any hints on coating for very small prints? I have coated for 6x6 contacts before, but when I did that I just coated a 5x7 area and then layed all my 6x6 contacts on it at once. Any suggestions for when I want to do 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 contacts and do not want to coat a larger block?

Also I have heard rules of thumb for the amount of coating solution to use, does this still apply when printing these smaller images? Any suggestions on a drop amount to use with a magic brush for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try to keep your volume/area ratio about the same. That's about all I can suggest.

Can't make any suggestions on using the magic brush, I haven't started using mine yet.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Any suggestions on a drop amount to use with a magic brush for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4?
    3 or 4 drops each of ferric and metal should be enough. Use no larger than a 2" Magic Brush. And, although it needs to be fairly wet, don't leave too much water in the brush or you will dilute the sensitizer. Also, consider using a 4.5" coating rod (aka puddle pusher) instead.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This will sound a little odd, Jeremy - and I love my magic bursh, but for the size you are talking about you might try using a the foam brush. Treat it just like the regular brush, wet it in di water, shake out the excess. I have used one to coat 4x5 and it really does not take up to much senitizer. It does require a very light touch, or you will end up with the paper surface coming apart, but that only happened to me when I kept at it to long. (I know you guys have told me that the foam brush isn't that good..but for the small size it works pretty good)
    Mike C

Rambles

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I've coated cyanotype for 9x12 cm, I've either coated a 5x7 and cut it down after printing (gives a very neat, "finished" apperance because the overcoated edge gets trimmed off) or cut the paper to size and coated that. Either way, I use a foam brush and about 1 ml of each cyano solution for 5x7; that amount will nicely coat two 9x12 cm sheets. Personally, I like the "rough edge" look of the overcoat showing outside the image, so in future I will most likely coat 5x7 for 9x12 cm negatives and just leave the paper that size. I do, however, wish I could find a reinforced watercolor paper with less "tooth" than the cheap stuff I've been using; it's a little coarse for negatives smaller than 4x5.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to use a brush and i've tried several. The best for me was a glass coating rod. I used a plain old glass stirring rod with the tips scored and cracked off.
    The trouble is keeping it clean and free of grit, as well as the coating solution.

I wipe the rod after every sheet and I filter the coating solution with a ball of cotton through the tip of a syringe needle (watch trainspotting.. :\ )

The 3cc syringe with 1" or longer, 20g or larger bore is a godsend for this.. I use separate syringes (blunted tips) for the A and B solutions of cyanotype, PMK, rodinal, etc. Very handy! Sorry to get OT a bit..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    I used to use a brush and i've tried several.
    If you haven't tried a Richeson Series 9010 (aka Magic Brush) you haven't tried the best...

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3 drops of pd and 3 of sensitizer and I was golden, gotta love that magic brush

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...2&cat=2&page=1
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin