Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,593   Online: 850

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    oh , how painful this is going to be to a lot of folks

Images
    Oh, that hurts big time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny S
    Nice words, especially when take into account this news http://www.polaroid.com/sx70/en/index.html.
    THAT FRIGGIN' FIGURES!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I've seen information that suggests it may be possible to permanently alter an SX-70 SLR type camera to expose correctly on 600/779 film without a filter. There's supposed to be a capacitor that can be replaced with one of a smaller value, causing the shutter to close sooner (as it should with the faster film).

Unfortunately, this requires a) opening the electronics housing around the lens of the camera (much harder on a sonar model), and b) unsoldering and replacing a component on a circuit board with another that must still fit inside the reassembled camera.

Polaroid's suggestion, at least, doesn't require major modification of the camera (though finding a 1- or 2-stop ND filter to fit an SX-70 could be a little too much fun).

For good or ill, my SX-70 seems to have died; I found recently that I left a film pack in it for about 10 years, and even a newer pack with a known good battery (operates a 600 camera, in which I bought it) doesn't wake up the SX-70. I'll try it next time I have a fresher pack, just in case it needs more power than the 600 (P&S), but if it's corroded internally, it's almost certainly not worth fixing compared to getting an SLR-680 to replace it...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If all you want to do is shoot the 600 film you don't need an SX70. easier just to go buy one of the cheap ones ($40 at Wal-mart last time I looked.)

I was more interested in the ablility to alter the palette of Time Zero film by heating and cooling cycles before exposing. 600/779 film is not the same and does not provide the manipulation possibilities, so most people who use an SX70 and time zero film could give a rats ass about the 600/779 film.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just went back and read the Polaroid notice. What a bunch of ________ idiots! (fill in your favorite expletive on the line)
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Donald,

It is not the speed of the film that interest us, or the ability to modify a 600 to use time zero film or the other way around.

It is what we do with the film(time zero) after the image has been made that is important.

And at this time and perhaps forever, no other film will allow one to manipulate the emulsion in the same manner. This is what is painful.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is sad news. It's like the public execution of an art form.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin